December 10, 2015 / Ciara Myers, Editor

The up and downs of D.C.’s health report

HEALTH
The United Health Foundation’s new annual health rankings report finds good news for the District as the city is below the national average on rates of obesity, excessive drinking, and poor physical health. However, a number of other areas still show room for significant improvement (WCP, 12/10):

Specifically, the report finds that 21.7 percent of D.C. residents are obese as compared with 29.6 percent nationally; 16.4 percent smoke as compared with 18.1 percent nationally; and 20.8 percent are physically inactive as compared with 22.6 nationally. Still, the report notes that D.C.’s “high violent crime rate, low rate of high school graduation, [and] high prevalence of low birth rate” may be causes for concern; additionally, D.C. records 14.9 drug deaths per 100,000 people versus 13.5 across the country, and 7.3 deaths per 1,000 live births versus 6 across the country. (Hawaii was ranked as the healthiest state in the report; the District wasn’t ranked because it’s disproportionately urban.)

Maryland came in at number 18 and Virginia came in at number 21 in the rankings.

When food stamp benefits are running low near the end of the month, the lack of assistance can leave families with more than just empty stomachs. Studies have shown that there are possible links between running out of food stamps and things like more hospital admissions for hypoglycemia, poor student behavior, and lower test scores. (WaPo, 12/9)

How to Market Healthy Food in a Rural Town (City Lab, 12/9)

PHILANTHROPY | Philanthropy wonk Lucy Bernholz’s seventh annual forecast for philanthropy and the social economy is out. Check out the Blueprint for 2016 here. (GrantCraft, 12/7)

– The Senate this week approved new education legislation known as the Every Student Succeeds Act – a move that ends No Child Left Behind and gives states and local school districts more power over judging the quality of their schools. (WaPo, 12/9)

After low test scores, Prince George’s schools CEO to unveil new spending plan (WTOP 12/10)

DISTRICT | D.C.’s $75 Million Problem (DCFPI, 12/10)

When climate change and art collide, you end up with glaciers in unlikely places.