December 14, 2015 / Ciara Myers, Editor

Hurdles in getting jobs for the unemployed in the District

DISTRICT/WORKFORCE
Disagreements, allegations of mismanagement, and underspending of federal funds have led the U.S. Labor Department to label D.C. as a “high-risk” partner in job training and employment programs. D.C. is currently the only jurisdiction to be labeled as such. (WaPo, 12/12)

The designation, which the District has had since 2012, places the city under increased federal oversight and means it risks suffering a slowdown in federal grants totaling $24 million a year for job training.

[…]

About 60,000 District adults lack a high-school diploma or its equivalent, and 30,000 or more have such a degree but aren’t reading at an eighth grade level, officials said. About 25,000 District residents are unemployed.

WRAG | WRAG president Tamara Lucas Copeland presents her fourth quarterly report to the community, along with some highlights on how WRAG stayed true to its mission of promoting increased, effective and responsible philanthropy to improve the health and vitality of the region and all who live here in 2015. (Daily, 12/14)

HIV/HOMELESSNESS | In part one of their series on housing for D.C. residents living with HIV, Washington City Paper looks at how housing resources for homeless, HIV-positive individuals can be extremely scarce. (WCP, 12/14)

ECONOMY
– In Prince George’s County, the CEO of their Economic Development Corporation is in the midst of a vigorous campaign to get more businesses to relocate to the county and bring about a long-hoped-for revival. (WaPo, 12/13)

– It’s no secret that, like many other major U.S. cities, getting by in D.C. is challenging for the middle class. An architect breaks down how increasingly difficult it can be for some to call the District home. (WaPo, 12/11)

Maryland county wants to ease the burden of student debt for its residents (WaPo, 12/14)

The Tipping Point: Most Americans No Longer Are Middle Class (NPR, 12/10)

EDUCATION/VIRGINIA | Urban Coalition Presses Virginia Lawmakers to ‘Meaningfully Increase’ Education Funding (WAMU, 12/14)

When is it acceptable to tell a lie? According to an author, there are at least 10 scenarios where he would lie. Would you agree?