January 5, 2016 / Ciara Myers, Editor

When small debts become big problems

ECONOMY/EQUITY 
For an alarming number of African American families, debts – even relatively small debts – can trickle into an insurmountable problem that further contributes to a widening racial wealth gap. (PS Mag, 1/4)

The most recent federal survey in 2013 put the difference in net worth between the typical white and black family at $131,000. That’s a big number, but here’s an even more troubling statistic: About one-quarter of African-American families had less than $5 in reserve. Low-income whites had about $375.

EDUCATION/REGION
Meet the new principal of D.C.’s first public all-boys high school in Deanwood, part of Mayor Muriel Bowser’s Empowering Males of Color Initiative. (DCist, 1/5)

The Rise of Urban Public Boarding Schools (Atlantic, 12/2015)

Survey: 11 of Loudoun’s 15 public high schools among state’s top 100 (Loudoun Times, 1/4)

VIRGINIA | A historic win for a seat on the Loudoun County Board of Supervisors may also be a sign of the continually changing generational and racial makeup of residents in one of the nation’s fastest growing counties. (Washingtonian, 1/4)

PHILANTHROPY/IMPACT INVESTING
The Chronicle of Philanthropy introduces their list of 40 people under 40 you should be paying attention to as they spearhead innovative ways to solve problems. (Chronicle, 1/5) Congratulations to Trista Harris, president of WRAG’s colleague organization Minnesota Council on Foundations, for making the list!

– On Philanthropy: All investing is impact investing (News & Observer, 1/4)

HEALTH/HEALTHCARE 
– Despite significant advances in the treatment of HIV-positive people, activists and physicians still face struggles in addressing the social and economic challenges of more vulnerable individuals living with the virus. (Atlantic, 12/2015)

Even Insured Can Face Crushing Medical Debt, Study Finds (NYT, 1/5)

The fascinating science behind beards.