January 14, 2016 / Ciara Myers, Editor

High cost of living biggest challenge facing millennials in the region today

REGION
A new report from American University explores some of the biggest challenges facing millennials in the region and how the area currently stacks up in tackling those issues. (WBJ, 1/13)

The “Greater Washington Index: Millennials” is not supposed to serve as a comprehensive survey but as business intelligence to craft policies and programs geared toward the millennial generation. Respondents were asked questions about the D.C. area related to transportation, crime, employment and nightlife, among other topics.

Overall, the report shows that D.C.-area millennials seem to be just as traffic-hating, salary-conscious, cost-of-living aware as any other generation. Just 9 percent of millennials surveyed described the area as an affordable place to live.

Click here to access the report, Greater Washington Index: Millennials.

IMMIGRATION | Amid recent news that the Department of Homeland Security would be ramping up deportation raids, advocates for undocumented immigrants and some local government officials are looking to ease fears of those who may be impacted. (DCist, 1/13)

HOUSING | Maryland’s foreclosure rate was among the highest in the U.S. in 2015 (WBJ, 1/14)

HOMELESSNESS/DISTRICT/LGBT | D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser has announced $45,000 to Wanda Halston House and Supporting and Mentoring Youth Advocates and Leaders to invest in the fight against LGBTQ youth homelessness. In the District, more than 300 people under the age of 24 are thought to be homeless, with 43 percent self-identifying as LGBTQ, according to census data from last summer. (WCP, 1/13)

ARTS | Grantmakers in the Arts discusses how funders can and should support ALAANA (African, Latino(a), Asian, Arab and Native American) organizations and artists, and critiques a few of the recommendations from the recent DeVos Institute of Arts Management report on diversity in the arts. (GIA, 1/13)

YOUTH/EDUCATION
– Anacostia High School plans to open a new public safety academy this fall in a partnership with the Metropolitan Police Department and the DC Police Foundation. (ABC 7, 1/12)

–  Montgomery County Wants to Provide All Public School Students With Library Cards (Bethesda Magazine, 1/14)

Take a look at what is possibly the first-ever photograph of the White House taken 170 years ago.