January 26, 2016 / Ciara Myers, Editor

Northern Virginia’s transformation over the years

VIRGINIA
Northern Virginia Magazine explores the changing economic, political, and social landscape of Northern Virginia over the past 10 years, and looks at some of the key moments that drove the transformation. (NVM, 1/22)

The U.S. census reports that 92 percent of residents in Fairfax County have a high school degree or higher—nearly 59 percent with a college degree. Of 1.1 million residents in Fairfax, there are nearly 250,000 between the ages of 20 and 34.

According to a demographic study by the University of Virginia, Northern Virginia has both the largest population among Virginia’s regions (nearly 3 million of the state’s total 8.3 million) and the fastest growth rate between 2010 and 2013 (5.9 percent). Nearly three-fifths of Virginia’s population growth since 2010 occurred in Northern Virginia.

HOMELESSNESS/DISTRICT | D.C. Transported Hundreds of People to Shelters and Warming Sites During the Blizzard (WCP, 1/25)

FOOD | Opinion: When it comes to “the food movement,” one writer ponders if there is more an illusion of progress than any actual action taking place. (WaPo, 1/26)

PRISON REFORM | A federal task force is recommending action to overhaul federal prisons and reduce the number of inmates by 60,000 people in the next 10 years. As the primary reason for prison overcrowding is mandatory minimum sentences issued for drug crimes, the task force recommends they be issued to only the most violent offenders. (NPR, 1/26)

HEALTH/AGING | As Population Ages, Where Are the Geriatricians? (NYT, 1/25)

Being extinct doesn’t mean you get out of shoveling snow.