February 11, 2016 / Ciara Myers, Editor

New regional effort to boost export activity through the Global Cities Initiative

REGION/ECONOMY
A regional coalition featuring the Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments, the Greater Washington Board of Trade, and the Consortium of Universities of the Washington Metropolitan Area has been chose to take part in the Global Cities Initiative. The initiative is a joint project of the Brookings Institution and JP Morgan Chase, with the goal of creating a unified regional export plan to strengthen the area’s economy. (WaPo, 2/11)

Greater Washington’s entry in the initiative was perhaps the most significant of a series of recent efforts to foster increased cooperation among the District, Northern Virginia and the Maryland suburbs in response to the federal spending cuts known as sequestration.

The three jurisdictions have been such rivals in the past that they had to overcome skepticism at Brookings and JP Morgan Chase about whether they could work together effectively.

WRAG/COMMUNITY | WRAG president Tamara Lucas Copeland shares why WRAG is so focused on pursuing a culture of evaluation in an effort to promote increased, more effective, and more responsible philanthropy. (Daily, 2/11)

CSR | In a newly-released survey from PricewaterhouseCoopers, 64 percent of global CEO respondents cited corporate social responsibility as “core to their business rather than being a standalone program.” The report also shows that CEOs think of social responsibility as key to attracting the most talent and garnering greater trust. (HuffPo, 2/10)

WORKFORCE/DISTRICT | Paid family leave moves forward in D.C. How far will city leap ahead of U.S.? (WaPo, 2/11)

EDUCATION | A new study from the Georgetown Center on Education and the Workforce finds that black students are much less likely to pursue majors in well-paying fields than their white counterparts. Researchers behind the study point to a possible lack in adequate career counseling and hidden resources as factors for the choice to major in lower-paying careers. (Atlantic, 2/10)

What can your job say about who you will pair off with?