February 22, 2016 / Ciara Myers, Editor

A conundrum for low-income parents returning to school

POVERTY/EDUCATION
For low-income parents who have not completed high school, pursuing a GED can be challenging beyond getting reacquainted with the classroom experience or missing work; many parents must also deal with missing class to care for children on the road to creating a better economic future for their families. (Atlantic, 2/19)

About one in 10 low-income parents participate in education and training courses, according to a 2014 report by the Urban Institute. About half of those parents work while enrolled, creating a need for childcare.

[…]

Working parents often take classes in the evenings but childcare centers generally close before 6 p.m., leaving parents to find informal options, such as asking a family member to come over or dropping a child off with a neighbor.

HEALTH
Opinion: Economists have reported a rising rate in the deaths of white, less-educated Americans, along with a number of theories on the reasons behind the trend. A sociologist shares his own take on what may be contributing to the shift. (NYT, 2/22)

Strokes on the Rise Among Younger Adults (NPR, 2/22)

ARTS 
Event: In recent years, several studies have examined inequities in funding for arts organizations of color, and have offered different recommendations. On Friday, February 26, American University will hold a public colloquium on this issue and will connect recent reports to current practice and experience of cultural managers and artists. Learn more here.

Related: Last month, we highlighted a few of the big ideas from a recent convening of arts funders at WRAG to discuss strategies for advancing equity and diversity in the arts. (Daily, 1/11)

– Have you seen any of the eye-catching artwork at the McLean Metro Station? You can read up on the artist’s process for what is among the first of several public artworks that will go up along the Silver Line stations. (Fairfax Times, 2/18)

– New data from the National Endowment for the Arts and the U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis finds that arts and cultural production contributed $704.2 billion to the U.S. economy in 2013 – a 32.5 percent boost since 1998. (National Endowment for the Arts, 2/16)

PHILANTHROPY | Use an Abundance Mentality to Streamline Foundation Processes (PhilanthroFiles, 2/19)

SOCIAL PROFITS | How can board chairs better impact the organizations they serve? Check out ten helpful, practical tips for board chairs to inspire and lead. (CompassPoint, 2/12)

Have you ever visited this nearby park? A surprising number of people in the region have not.