March 1, 2016 / Ciara Myers, Editor

Rising poverty rates in Virginia schools bring challenges

VIRGINIA/POVERTY/EDUCATION
Over the past several years, some Northern Virginia schools have seen a stark increase in the number of students who live in poverty. Particularly in Fairfax County, school administrators continue to try to meet the growing needs of students amid budget constraints. (WAMU, 3/1)

In the last decade, school administrators across Northern Virginia noticed a marked increased in the number of students who live in poverty. Nowhere was the trend more pitched than Manassas, where the percentage of students living in poverty increased from 24 to nearly 58 percent in the last 10 years.

RELATED: Yesterday, we shared some of the important points made by Dr. Matthew Biel, Director of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry at the Georgetown University Medical Center, at the first session of WRAG’s 2016 Public Education Speaker Series where he spoke on the impact of toxic stress on children’s development stemming from a number of issues like housing instability and food insecurity. (Daily 2/29)

– The Hill-Snowdon Foundation has launched a new website for their Making Black Lives Matter Initiative (MBLM). The site will provide background on the MBLM Initiative, focused on “supporting black-led organizing in order to help revitalize and strengthen the institutional and political power of the black community.” The website also introduces the Black Social Change Funders Network  a network to help foundations and donors accelerate their interest in supporting black-led social change – in partnership with the Association of Black Foundation Executives.

Venture Philanthropy Partners, in association with Prince George’s County administration, public schools, local business leaders, philanthropy, and social profit organizations, recently launched the Ready for Work initiative, aimed at providing students with real work experiences prior to graduation from high school. (VPP, 2/2016)

– The Executives’ Alliance for Boys & Men of Color have announced a ‘Ban the Box Philanthropy Challenge,’ calling for U.S. philanthropic institutions to adopt fair chance hiring policies. Participating and supporting organizations include: Butler Family Fund, Consumer Health Foundation, Council on FoundationsOpen Society Foundations, and Public Welfare Foundation.

– Funders for LGBTQ Issues has released their 2014 Tracking Report, analyzing 4,552 grants from 313 foundations funding LGBTQ issues within that calendar year. You can view the comprehensive assessment and its accompanying infographic here. (Funders for LGBTQ Issues, 2/25)

IMMIGRATION/YOUTH/REGION | Remaking High School for Immigrant Kids (City Lab, 2/29)

CSR | In his latest blog post, Tim McClimon, president of the American Express Foundation and head faculty member for the Institute for CSR, examines the challenges facing many CSR professionals today in keeping millennial leaders engaged. (American Express, 2/29)

ARTS | The Theatre Communications Group is taking nominations for D.C. area early-career leaders of color in social-profit theater to participate in their Rising Leaders of Color program, designed to “change the face of the theatre field by nurturing and supporting an inter-generational network of leaders of color at various stages in their careers.”

Check out this trailer for what is probably the only right way to do a film about the life of Vincent Van Gogh.