March 2, 2016 / Ciara Myers, Editor

Third-grade reading proficiency remains stagnant in D.C., declining for some

DISTRICT/EDUCATION
A new analysis of third-grade reading proficiency from 2007-2014 by D.C. Action for Children finds that standardized test scores remained stagnant for District students citywide, and declined for economically disadvantaged students during that period. (WCP, 3/1)

The report highlights other academic gaps. Nine in 10 white third-graders attained proficient scores on the 2014 test, versus 35 and 36 percent of black and Hispanic third-graders, respectively, according to D.C Action for Children.

Based on its findings, the group recommends that D.C. invest even more in early care and education programs such as home visits as well as strengthen early literacy programs such as the D.C. Public Library’s “Books from Birth” program.

Related Event: Literacy is the topic at the next event in WRAG’s 2016 Public Education Speaker Series. Funders, click here to learn more about the event.

How One D.C. Elementary’s 5th Grade Enrollment Highlights Concerns About Middle School (WAMU 3/2)

–  Well-known native Washingtonian James V. Kimsey, philanthropist and cofounder of America Online, has passed away. (WaPo, 3/1)

– A new website, Successes of Philanthropy, aims to serve as a digital archive of philanthropic wins made by a variety of grant making institutions. The project is supported by a number of organizations, including the JP Morgan Chase Foundation, with strategic input from others, including the Council on Foundations. (Chronicle, 3/1)

HOUSING/POVERTY | Why losing a home means losing everything (WaPo, 2/29)

FOOD
– Find out how Denmark and other places are working to solidify their position as leaders in the fight against food waste. (NPR, 3/1)

The Instagrams of Food Deserts (Atlantic, 3/1)

ARTS | In recognition of Women’s History Month and the public’s general lack of awareness about women in the field, the National Museum of Women in the Arts has launched a campaign challenging everyone to name five women artists . (WCP, 3/1)

When will the cherry blossoms(!) hit peak bloom? Find out here.