March 9, 2016 / Ciara Myers, Editor

View the first video

PUTTING RACISM ON THE TABLE/WRAG
The first video in the “Putting Racism on the Table” series is now live! The video features Professor john a. powell, Professor of Law and Professor of African-American Studies and Ethnic Studies at the University of California, Berkeley, speaking on structural racism. After you’ve had a chance to view the video, we encourage you to share your thoughts on the series in general or on the specific topic via Twitter, using the hashtag #PuttingRacismOnTheTable, and on WRAG’s Facebook page. (Daily, 3/9)

POVERTY
– The American Academy of Pediatrics is encouraging a new policy that would have pediatricians begin screening children for poverty by asking their parents if they are able to meet their family’s financial needs. The move comes as part of an effort to improve mental health and public health outcomes in children, by addressing the impact of toxic stress caused by poverty. (USN, 3/9)

Related: Recently, Dr. Matthew Biel, Director of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry at the Georgetown University Medical Center, joined us as the opening speaker for WRAG’s 2016 Public Education Speaker Series, to discuss the impact of toxic stress on child development.

– A study out of the University of Michigan examined more than 100,000 American households’ purchasing habits of toilet paper over a period of seven years. Researchers found that when it comes to buying necessities (like toilet paper and other household items) it takes money to save money – further supporting the notion that it is expensive to be poor. (WaPo, 3/8)

Related: On Wednesday, May 18, we will hear from Eldar Shafir, co-author of Scarcity: Why Having Too Little Means So Much, on the psychological influence of scarcity. This event is open to the public with registration.

– Your chances at becoming poor may be higher than you think (WaPo, 3/8)

COMMUNITY | Congratulations to Consumer Health Foundation (CHF) on being awarded the National Committee for Responsive Philanthropy’s (NCRP) Impact Award for Small/Midsized Private Foundation! CHF president and CEO Yanique Redwood also serves as vice president of the WRAG board. The awards ceremony will take place on Tuesday, May 3.

HOUSING/HOMELESSNESS | For some low-income families and individuals in need, strict zero-tolerance housing policies can create a vicious cycle in which they suddenly find themselves out of a place to call home. (Washingtonian, 3/7)

HEALTH | Medical Bills Still Take A Big Toll, Even With Insurance (NPR, 3/8)

DISTRICT | Mayor Muriel Bowser Announces Tech Hub Promoting Minority Companies (DCist, 3/8)

CSR | The Northern Virginia Chamber of Commerce invites you to apply for the Outstanding Corporate Citizenship Awards. The application period is open through Friday, April 1, 2016, and is available online.

So…those cherry blossoms will be arriving a little sooner than expected.