March 11, 2016 / Ciara Myers, Editor

Friday roundup – March 7 through March 11, 2016

THIS WEEK AT WRAG
– We released the first video in the “Putting Racism on the Table” series. The video features Professor john a. powell, Professor of Law and Professor of African-American Studies and Ethnic Studies at the University of California, Berkeley, speaking on structural racism. After viewing, we encourage you to share your thoughts on the series in general or on the specific topic via Twitter (using the hashtag #PuttingRacismOnTheTable), or on WRAG’s Facebook page. (Daily, 3/9)

– WRAG president Tamara Lucas Copeland explored the challenges social profit organizations often face when funders decrease giving in a particular issue area. (Daily, 3/7)

THIS WEEK IN HOUSING
– The Region Forward Coalition shared details of their first meeting of the year, at which WRAG vice president Gretchen Greiner-Lott presented Our Region, Your Investment, alongside Enterprise Community Loan Fund, as a part of the solution to the Greater Washington region’s affordable housing crisis. (Region Forward, 3/2)

THIS WEEK IN THE ARTS 
 More and more social profit museums are leaning on commercial art galleries for financial support for exhibitions, and concerns are growing that the arrangement could bring about conflicts of interest and too much influence over what the public sees, going against the missions of many museums to provide art for the sake of art. (NYT, 3/7)

– Opinion: A theatergoer shares his experience attending a popular Broadway show that  features a diverse cast, and how he felt when he noticed the audience was not so diverse. (NPR, 3/8)

THIS WEEK IN POVERTY
– Over a period of seven years, a University of Michigan study examined more than 100,000 American households’ toilet paper-purchasing habits. The researchers found that when it comes to buying household necessities, among other things, those with money tend to pay less – further supporting the point that it is expensive to be poor. (WaPo, 3/8)

WRAG’S COMMUNITY CALENDAR
Click the image below to access WRAG’S Community Calendar. To have your event included, please send basic information including event title, date/time, location, a brief description of the event, and a link for further details to: myers@washingtongrantmakers.org.

Calendar won’t display? Click here.

A seventh-grader settles “Deflategate” once and for all.