March 30, 2016 / Ciara Myers, Editor

Loudoun School Board votes on attendance zones

EDUCATION/YOUTH
The Loudoun County School Board voted this week on a controversial proposal that would have concentrated mostly low-income, Hispanic students into just two schools – a plan that some criticized as being a form of segregation. Instead, the Board voted to adopt an amended version of the plan in hopes of relieving overcrowding. (Loudoun Times,  3/29)

In the spirit of compromise, the Loudoun School Board voted tonight to adopt a central Loudoun attendance zone based both on proximity and socioeconomic balance.

After weeks of debate, attention from national media, hearing the opinions of hundreds of parents and a rally in front of the School Administration Office, the board adopted an amended version of Plan 8, which will only move one planning zone in the low-income Leesburg neighborhood near Plaza Street. The plan will not create any new Title 1 schools in Leesburg, as other plans proposed to do.

– According to data, D.C. has seen the rate of child population growth outpace that of the adult population since 2011, also increasing enrollment in District public schools. Most of the growth is concentrated in neighborhoods east of Rock Creek Park and in the Brightwood Park, Crestwood and Petworth areas.  (WaPo, 3/30)

HOUSING
– For many D.C. residents, a lack of affordable housing has left them choosing between rental units they must struggle to pay for, and living in rental units in terrible condition. For those who have chosen the latter, a vicious cycle often continues when frustration leaves them unwilling to pay rent, and landlords saying  they are unable to afford repairs. (WAMU, 3/30)

Finding an affordable anchor in D.C.’s wave of gentrification (WaPo, 3/29)

ARTS | The Reva and David Logan Foundation has awarded D.C.’s Mosaic Theater Company $1 million over four years from 2016 through 2020. (CC News, 3/26)

ENVIRONMENTReport: Potomac River Gets A ‘B-‘ For Overall Health, On Its Way To Recovery (DCist, 3/30)

PHILANTHROPY/WOMENHeft or Hype: How Much Do Women Leaders in Philanthropy Really Matter? (Inside Philanthropy, 3/25)

JOBS | The Morris & Gwendolyn Cafritz Foundation seeks a Community Development Program Officer. Click here to find out more about this opportunity.

Be prepared to smile at these dogs who love peanut butter more than anything.