March 31, 2016 / Ciara Myers, Editor

Study explores the role of race in teachers’ expectations of students

EDUCATION/RACE
– A new study examines how race plays a role in influencing a teacher’s expectations for their students’ potential for academic success, possibly contributing further to the U.S. achievement gap. (WaPo, 3/31)

When a white (or other non-black) teacher and a black teacher evaluate the same black student, the study found, the white teacher is 30 percent less likely to believe that the student will graduate from a four-year college — and 40 percent less likely to believe the student will graduate from high school.

The discrepancy was even greater for black male students.

– A growing number of African American families are choosing to remove their children from traditional schooling in favor of home-schooling. According to researchers, many families cite racism in schools as a leading factor for the decision. (WAMU, 3/30)

Related Event for Education Funders: In July, the third session in WRAG’s Public Education Learning Series will look at the impact of racial and gender disparities in school discipline and how funders can help promote equity in disciplinary practices. Click here to learn more and to register.

HOUSINGIn A High-Rent World, Affordable And Safe Housing Is Hard To Come By (NPR, 3/30)

SOCIAL PROFITS/WORKFORCE
OpinionSuccession planning is a top concern for many social profit organizations. With employment projections forecasting a large exodus of senior executives over the next several years, here are some potential strategies to attract and retain effective leaders. (Chronicle, 3/29) Subscription required

– 7 Pitfalls to Avoid When Building a Diverse Nonprofit Staff (Chronicle, 3/30) Subscription required

ENVIRONMENT/REGION |  A new ranking places the Washington region at the top of the list for having the most energy-efficient buildings for the second consecutive year. (WCP, 3/30)

Can you guess which Metro stations in the region have the highest ridership