April 1, 2016 / Ciara Myers, Editor

Friday roundup – March 28 through April 1, 2016

THIS WEEK IN HOUSING
– This week, NPR plunged into issues surrounding affordable housing (or lack thereof), in cities like Washington, D.C., with stories about tenants facing eviction and facing off in court with their landlords, and low-income renters in the District struggling to get by. NPR‘s local housing stories from this week can be found here, here, here, and here.

Finding an affordable anchor in D.C.’s wave of gentrification (WaPo, 3/29)

THIS WEEK IN EDUCATION
– The Loudoun County School Board compromised on a controversial proposal that would have concentrated mostly low-income, Hispanic students into two schools, reminding many of separate-but-equal policies of the past. (Loudoun Times,  3/29)

– A new study was released, examining how race plays a role in influencing a teacher’s expectations for their students’ potential for academic success. (WaPo, 3/31)

THIS WEEK IN SOCIAL PROFITS
Audio: CECP Chief Executive Officer Daryl Brewster shares advice on ways the social profit sector and corporations can partner more effectively and offers his vision for the future of corporate social responsibility. (Chronicle, 3/25)

– 7 Pitfalls to Avoid When Building a Diverse Nonprofit Staff (Chronicle, 3/30) Subscription required

WRAG’S COMMUNITY CALENDAR
Click the image below to access WRAG’S Community Calendar. To have your event included, please send basic information including event title, date/time, location, a brief description of the event, and a link for further details to: myers@washingtongrantmakers.org.

Calendar won’t display? Click here.

It’s April Fool’s Day, so here’s your guide for navigating the next several hours.