April 7, 2016 / Rebekah Seder, Editor

Montgomery County schools face challenges in serving increasing numbers of English language learners

EDUCATION/EQUITY | The pushback against proposed changes to the structure of Montgomery County Public Schools’ English for Speakers of Other Languages program highlights the rapid demographic changes in the county and the major academic achievement gap between English language learners and other students:

The number of students learning to speak English as they take classes at Northwood High School has tripled in three years. Many of those 350 teenagers have fled Central America as unaccompanied minors. Some are missing years of education. Not everyone graduates from high school in four years. […]

The plans to restructure come as the number of English-language learners has climbed nearly 40 percent since 2007 in the suburban school system, with more than 22,000 such students this school year — about 14 percent of the system’s 156,000 total enrollment.

HOMELESSNESS | The rate of homelessness in Arlington is declining, down 27 percent from last year and 64 percent since 2013. (ARLnow, 4/6)

COMMUNITY | The Healthcare Initiative Foundation has awarded The Universities at Shady Grove a $648,900 grant to fund 112 scholarships over five years to support students at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County Social Work program and the University of Maryland, Baltimore School of Nursing. The primary goal of the Healthcare Initiative Foundation is to enhance and expand workforce development in the healthcare field within Montgomery County. The scholarships will provide needed pathways to degrees and careers and will help build a culturally competent healthcare workforce. Read more about the program here.

RACE | Study finds police fatally shoot unarmed black men at disproportionate rates (WaPo, 4/7)

TRANSIT | The Purple Line is one step closer to reality. At this rate, construction might begin later this year and be completed by 2022. (WAMU, 4/6)

HIV/AIDS | The graying of HIV: 1 in 6 new U.S. cases are people older than 50 (WaPo, 4/6)

DISTRICT | This week the Kojo Nnamdi Show has featured a series of stories documenting challenges and changes in neighborhoods east of the Anacostia. (WAMU, 4/4-7)

PHILANTHROPY | Opinion: One of the most prominent advocates for strategic philanthropy reflects on the negative side effects of strategic philanthropy done poorly. (Chronicle, 4/4) – Subscription required.

Dog hockey > regular hockey any day.

– Rebekah