April 13, 2016 / Ciara Myers, Editor

Undocumented students face challenges heading to college

It’s all hands on deck for the Fundamentals of CSR tomorrow. The Daily will return on Friday!

For many students preparing to graduate from high school, figuring out how to pay for college can be challenging. For undocumented students, being ineligible for federal loans or grants can make those challenges seem insurmountable. (WaPo, 4/11)

It’s an uncertainty that many undocumented students confront during their senior year in high school as they are crossing over from one world to the next. They are moving from a childhood when they had a right to attend public school, where teachers promised that they could achieve anything with enough hard work, to an adulthood where their legal status stands directly in the way of opportunities, including not just federal student loans but also driver’s licenses, certain academic fellowships and jobs.

– Why Do Some Poor Kids Thrive? (Atlantic, 4/6)

COMMUNITY/WRAG/ENVIRONMENT | In an update to WRAG’s Beyond Dollars report originally published in 2009, former managing director Kristin Pauly of The Prince Charitable Trusts shares the latest on their efforts to help protect a cultural and environmental asset in Virginia, and presents a new documentary on the fight, When Mickey Came to Town. (Daily, 4/13)

In their final annual report on the state of diversity, equity, and inclusion in philanthropy, the D5 Coalition shares the voices of leaders in the field and their stories of progress in the struggle to create a more equitable sector. (D5, 4/12)

Opinion: In light of the Council on Foundations’ 2016 annual conference addressing a lack of diversity and inclusion in philanthropy, Council president and CEO Vikki Spruill and Hispanics in Philanthropy president Diana Campoamor recommend strategies for addressing underrepresentation in the sector. (NPQ, 4/7)

Opinion: Pablo Eisenberg, senior fellow at the Center for Public and Nonprofit Leadership at Georgetown University, discusses why he believes that philanthropy further exacerbates wealth inequality in America, and what he sees as a “culture of silence” in the philanthropic community. (Chronicle, 4/11) – Audio

CHILDREN/DISTRICTWho Pays the Price When Child Care Assistance Is Too Low? (CCN, 4/9)

VIRGINIA/ECONOMYWhy Virginia is shaking up its economic development strategy (WBJ, 4/12

Who better to review the best playgrounds in D.C. than an 8-year-old child?