April 27, 2016 / Ciara Myers, Editor

A setback for youth programming in the District

DISTRICT/YOUTH
Yesterday, news broke in The Washington Post about the DC Trust, an organization aimed at “grantmaking, capacity building, and coordination of youth programs and services.” While all the details have not been revealed as of yet, changes at the DC Trust will reverberate across many youth-serving organizations in the District. (WaPo, 4/26)

Related: DC Alliance of Youth Advocates (DCAYA) has released a statement regarding the DC Trust with updated information and their recommendations for a path forward.

The WRAG community is monitoring this situation carefully and looks forward to more information to know how best to respond.

MASS INCARCERATION
– A report from the Annie E. Casey Foundation looks at the impact of having an incarcerated parent on families. According to the study, nearly 10,000 children in D.C. have a parent who has been jailed. (WCP, 4/26)

– Obama’s advisers just revealed an unconventional solution to mass incarceration (WaPo, 4/25)

– A new study conducted by the Center on Urban Poverty and Community Development at Case Western Reserve University explores the links between bad housing, lead exposure, and intellectual performance in school. The study finds that “children with both disadvantages (bad housing and lead) performed the worst, scoring 15 percent lower than their peers in better housing with no history of lead poisoning.” (NPQ, 4/21)

– Most High School Seniors Aren’t College Or Career Ready, Says ‘Nation’s Report Card’ (WAMU, 4/27)

RACISM/REGION 
– Unconscious bias can creep into every aspect of life – even the sharing economy. A recent experiment on AirBnB (a website for people to rent lodging) in five major cities, including D.C., revealed that hosts were 16 percent less likely to rent to guests with African American-sounding names than they were to rent to guests they presumed to be white. (NPR, 4/26)

Related: In this blog post, WRAG president Tamara Lucas Copeland shared a similar personal experience. When renting a house she owns, she was advised by a friend reviewing her website to remove the image of a person of color. Why? The friend thought that it would limit interest in the property. (Daily, 3/15)

– Following Virginia Governor Terry McAuliffe’s move to restore voting rights to 200,000 people with felony convictions, The Atlantic looks at a history of felon disenfranchisement in the state, often restraining African American political power. (Atlantic, 4/27)

HEALTH | Healthcare Initiative Foundation has announced an award of $45,000 for a planning grant to Community Health and Empowerment through Education and Research (CHEER), the convener of Healthy Long Branch, a consortia of health care providers, social service providers and community groups in Takoma Park and Long Branch. Find out more here.

Anyone interested in chipping in on this tiny town?

One Comment

1. Maggie Riden / Apr 27 2016 12:12 pm

Thanks for the shout out today! Much appreciated as we try and maintain some calm and keep people focused on next steps. WE appreciate!

On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 12:57 PM, WordPress.com wrote:

> Ciara Myers, Editor posted: “DISTRICT/YOUTH Yesterday, news broke in The > Washington Post about the DC Trust, an organization aimed at “grantmaking, > capacity building, and coordination of youth programs and services.” While > all the details have not been revealed as of yet, changes at” >