May 25, 2016 / Ciara Myers, Editor

Plans for Prince George’s Regional Medical Center may be scaled back

HEALTH
Amid concerns that the upcoming Prince George’s County Regional Medical Center project may be too large, regulators in Maryland are calling for some cutbacks. The center, originally expected to open in 2017, may open in 2020. (WBJ, 5/24)

[The] planned partnership for a new 231-bed teaching hospital at Largo Town Center is part of a larger redevelopment plan that county leaders say will transform health care for residents and revitalize nearby business. The hospital would replace Dimensions’ [Healthcare System’s] long-struggling flagship hospital, Prince George’s Hospital Center in Cheverly.

– In this interview, Chief Scientific Officer Diane Bovenkamp, Ph.D., of the BrightFocus Foundation discusses the science and therapeutic research they are funding to address Alzheimer’s disease. (Real World Health Care, 5/25)

– According to a new report from the United Health Foundation, comparing the current health status of those ages 50-64 with those of the same age in 1999, this next generation of senior citizens is expected to have more health concerns. The research has potentially serious implications on future health care costs for individuals and taxpayers overall. (NPR, 5/25)

PHILANTHROPY | In the latest installment of Exponent Philanthropy‘s Philanthropy Lessons video series, funders  discuss how philanthropy must bring value beyond dollars. (EP, May 2016)

LGBT/HOMELESSNESS | DC Shelters frustrated by lack of funding for LGBT homeless youth (Metro Weekly, 5/23)

EDUCATION/DISTRICT | A new analysis by the Urban Institute examines improvements in test scores by District students. Despite the gains, significant achievement gaps remain among D.C. students. (WCP, 5/24)

Related: Education funders are invited to the next session in WRAG’s 2016 public education speaker series, focused on the role of background knowledge in literacy. More details here.

DISTRICT/ECONOMY | Fans of interactive, at-a-glance data, rejoice! The DC Office of the Deputy Mayor for Planning & Economic Development has released a new Ward Indicators Tool as part of their  Economic Intelligence Dashboard, to provide a source for finding demographic and investment data by ward. (Technical.ly, 5/23)

I don’t know about you, but I have officially run out of excuses for not wanting to go to the gym.