June 8, 2016 / Ciara Myers, Editor

D.C. Council approves $15 minimum wage

DISTRICT/WORKFORCE
Yesterday, the D.C. Council voted unanimously to raise the city’s minimum wage to $15 an hour (and the tipped minimum wage to $5 an hour) by July 2020. Additionally, an amendment to conduct a study on the minimum-income system’s feasibility was also passed. (WCP, 6/7)

D.C. Chief Financial Officer Jeffrey S. DeWitt estimates that raising the minimum wage would directly benefit approximately 127,000 workers, [D.C. Mayor Muriel] Bowser said, adding that it would put “more money in the hands of our working families.”

COMMUNITY | Catherine Foca, vice president for programs and operations at the Capital One Foundation, has been named president. Carolyn Berkowitz, who announced her departure from the role in April, will remain as an adviser until October. (WBJ, 6/7) Carolyn has also served as a faculty member for the Institute for Corporate Social Responsibility.

PHILANTHROPY | Barbara Harman, founder and president of the Catalogue for Philanthropy: Greater Washington and executive director of the Harman Family Foundation, talks giving (and considers a new name for the publication) in this fun interview. (WaPo, 6/2)

IMPLICIT BIAS/ECONOMY | A new study looks into the spending habits of black and white Americans at various income levels, and finds a number of differences – some of which, according to the study’s authors, could be attributed to discrimination or implicit bias. (Atlantic, 6/7)

YOUTH/WORKFORCE | The Brookings Institution looks at some of the challenges and opportunities ahead for the economic security and employment prospects of young people. (Brookings, 6/7)

HEALTHScientists Seek Genetic Clues To Asthma’s Toll On Black Children (NPR, 6/7)

MENTAL HEALTH 
– At some universities, master’s and Ph.D. students are providing much-needed counseling services to new immigrants to America who are often uninsured and have experienced high levels of trauma. (NPR, 6/7)

– How to Fix a Broken Mental-Health System (Atlantic, 6/8)

If you’re anything like me, you love a good road trip. Here’s how you can visit 48 state capitals in just over a week.