June 22, 2016 / Ciara Myers, Editor

Annie E. Casey Foundation releases 2016 KIDS COUNT Data Book

YOUTH
The Annie E. Casey Foundation has released their 2016 KIDS COUNT Data Book, looking at children’s well-being across various indicators nationally and within each state. For youth in the District, the data show some gains and some losses (WCP, 6/21):

The analysis presents a mixed-bag for District youth, who have seen significantly higher rates of reading and math proficiency from 2007 to 2015 as well as a slight uptick in health-insurance enrollments from 2008 to 2014. Still, the portion of those living in poverty—26 percent, as of two years ago—remained the same as it was in 2008, with one in ten teens (roughly 3,000) neither in school nor working in 2014.

In the report‘s overall state rankings, Virginia comes in at number 11 and Maryland lands at number 16.

OpinionWhat does it mean when five D.C. kids are shot and there’s no outcry? (WaPo, 6/21)

– According to data from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, it costs a middle-income family (with two parents and no more than five children) $245,340 to raise a child born in 2013 in America from birth to 18-years-old. While 2013 is the most recent year for which data is available, you can use the interactive tool to see how those numbers have changed for low-, middle-, and high-income families since 1960. (WSJ, 6/22)

SOCIAL PROFITS/PHILANTHROPY | In the newest video in their Philanthropy Lessons video series, Exponent Philanthropy staff and grantees discuss the value of the all-important site visit. (Chronicle, 6/22)

IMMIGRATION/VIRGINIACounty Board Backs Resolution for Undocumented Immigrant Driver’s Licenses (ARLnow, 6/22)

CSR/COMMUNITY | The U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation has extended the deadline for the 17th annual Corporate Citizenship Awards submissions to June 30.  The 2016 winners will be announced at the Citizens Awards Gala on November 17 at the end of their annual conference.

– A new University of Virginia study asks the question, “Is Kindergarten the New First Grade?” and offers the first national glimpse at how expectations of the youngest students have changed quite a bit since 1998. (NPR, 6/21)

– Can ‘early warning systems’ keep children from dropping out of school? (WaPo, 6/21)

If you were in Reston yesterday, you saw nearly every type of weather there is.