June 29, 2016 / Rebekah Seder, Editor

New report reveals the drivers of racial disparities in health outcomes in D.C.

RACIAL EQUITY
– A new report from Georgetown’s School of Nursing & Health Studies reveals major disparities in health outcomes between D.C.’s African American and white residents, and provides recommendations on how the city can better address the structural nature of health inequities. (GU, 6/28) From the executive summary:

While citywide efforts are underway to streamline how healthcare services are organized and delivered, the benefit of this approach on the overall health of the African American community may be marginal. An explicit focus on historically embedded social, economic, political, and environmental injustices that disproportionately impact persons of color is needed. Examples include employing a racial equity approach when conducting community health needs assessments with a goal of uncovering and eliminating systemic barriers that perpetuate segregation, neighborhood disinvestment, and inequitable distribution of resources. Public and private partnerships that examine how planning efforts, policies and business decisions disproportionately impact African American residents are needed.

Click here for the full report, which was developed by Christopher King, assistant professor in the School of Nursing & Health Studies and member of the Consumer Health Foundation‘s board of directors.

– Data from the Brookings Institution show how the millennial and post-millennial generations are driving the increase in racial diversity across the country. (Brookings, 6/28)

Related: Last week we released the second-to-last video in WRAG’s Putting Racism on the Table series. USC professor Manuel Pastor discusses the implications of these demographic changes and the urgent need to invest in racial equity.

– Data from the D.C. Public Charter School Board show that, on average, charter school students travel 2.1 miles from home to school. (WCP, 6/28)

– Montgomery County Public Schools’ new superintendent, Jack Smith, is getting to work. (WaPo, 6/29)

Can ‘early warning systems’ keep children from dropping out of school? (WaPo, 6/29)

WORKFORCE | D.C.’ s ‘fair scheduling’ labor bill hits a hiccup, but proponents still hopeful (WaPo, 6/29)

POVERTY | A series on WAMU this week focused on poverty is highlighting a nonprofit organization in Fort Worth, TX, that is taking an innovative and personal approach to helping individuals get out of poverty. Click here and here for stories. (WAMU, 6/28-29)

HOUSING | Most Americans Think the Housing Crisis Never Ended (City Lab, 6/28)

WRAG MEMBERS | This year, WRAG is partnering with the Council on Foundations to encourage participation in the 2016 Grantmakers Salary and Benefits Survey, a valuable benchmarking tool designed to collect compensation data for positions at community, private (family and independent), and public foundations, and other staffed grantmaking entities. This annual survey is one of the most important and effective resources for our members and we encourage you to participate. To learn more and take the survey contact research@cof.org.

It probably comes as no surprise that a Twinkie unwrapped 40 years ago looks pretty much the same today.

– Rebekah