July 5, 2016 / Rebekah Seder, Editor

D.C. leads the way in movement to reduce pre-trial detention

CRIMINAL JUSTICE | Unlike most other jurisdictions across the country, where individuals without the financial means to make bail get stuck in jail, D.C. allows about 90 percent of those facing criminal charges to remain in the community before trial, without putting up any money (WaPo, 7/4):

Nationally, about 47 percent of felony defendants with bonds remain jailed before their cases are heard because they cannot make bail. At the D.C. jail on 19th Street SE, no one is locked up on a criminal charge because of an inability to pay.

“We’ve proven it can work without money, but the whole country continues as if in a trance to do what we know does not work,” said D.C. Superior Court Judge Truman Morrison. The new way of thinking he promotes tracks the federal system, which bars judges from setting financial barriers to keep someone locked up.

Thousands of people across the nation sit in jail — not convicted, but awaiting their day in court — because they cannot afford to post money for release. Others, charged with the same crime but able to pay, go free.

EQUITY | Opinion: The Ford Foundation’s Darren Walker explains how America’s “internship-industrial complex” – in which young people with means have access to career-launching opportunities – perpetuates inequity. (NY Times, 7/5)

PHILANTHROPY | A new Foundation Center project, YouthGiving.org, tracks data on giving by young people and programs that engage youth in philanthropy across the country. (Chronicle, 7/1)

ENVIRONMENT | Montgomery County’s five-cent bag tax is generating revenue and reducing the number of plastic bags found in waterways. (WaPo, 7/4)

YOUTH | How A D.C. Diversion Program Helps Get Young Lives Off The Ropes (WAMU, 6/30)

EDUCATION | D.C. public school program wants students to see the world — for free (WaPo, 7/4)

Here’s a history of methods of burning off those 4th of July burgers and hot dogs.

-Rebekah