August 8, 2016 / Rebekah Seder, Editor

Some DCPS students back to school today in extended school year experiment

– It’s back to school today for students at 11 DC public schools that are part of a program that extends the school year by 20 days (WAMU, 8/8):

The hope is that by giving low-income students in struggling schools more time in the classroom, they’ll be able to make — and retain — academic gains more quickly. […]

Of the 11 schools extending their school year, nine are in wards 7 and 8, the city’s poorest. Under the new calendar, students will have shorter breaks interspersed throughout the year — but no break, not even summer, will be more than two weeks long. School will end on July 13 next year, and start right back up two weeks later.”

D.C. mayor announces search committee to help select new schools chancellor (WaPo, 8/5) Among the committee members are WRAG members Nicky Goren (President & CEO of the Meyer Foundation and WRAG board member) and Ed Fisher (Director of Community Affairs at CareFirst).

WORKFORCE | A bill has been introduced in the Montgomery County Council that would allow workers to use sick leave to care for a new baby. (Bethesda Beat, 8/4)

ARTS/COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT | This past weekend, artists painted murals along a boarded up shopping mall slated for redevelopment along Rhode Island Ave in DC. Though the mall will be torn down later this year, the artists saw this as an opportunity to celebrate the heritage of a community undergoing rapid changes. (WaPo, 8/8)

Black Lives Matter Groups Push Grant Makers to Step Outside Their Comfort Zones (Chronicle, 8/4)

– The Foundation Center has launched a collection of literature and research on grantmaking intermediaries. (FC, 7/13) The Intermediaries Knowledge Center can be found here.

TRANSIT | In case you missed it, federal funding for the Purple Line has been held up indefinitely by a court decision last week. (WaPo, 8/4)

In honor of International Cat Day, a celebration of the superior pet.

– Rebekah

P.S. The (Almost) Daily will be back on Wednesday.