August 12, 2016 / Rebekah Seder, Editor

It would take over two centuries to close the racial wealth gap in America

RACIAL EQUITY
– A new study released this week looks at the racial wealth gap (as opposed to the income gap) in the United States and finds that, without policy changes, it would take 228 years for black families to acquire the same amount of wealth as white families in this country (Next City, 8/10):

The report…examined the accumulation of wealth over the past 30 years and how wealth-building policies have given white Americans a leg up. Over the past three decades, the average wealth of white families has grown by 84 percent, three times as fast as the rate for African-American families and 1.2 the growth rate for Latino families, according to the research from the Corporation for Enterprise Development and the Institute for Policy Studies. […]

Homeownership strongly correlates with wealth, and decades of discriminatory housing policies and market practices, such as redlining and disparate local implementation of Federal Housing Administration loans and G.I. Bill benefits, have prohibited many people of color from purchasing a home. While 71 percent of white families are homeowners, only 41 percent of black families and 45 percent of Hispanic families are homeowners.

You can read the full report from the Corporation for Enterprise Development and the Institute for Policy Studies here.

Baltimore shows how historic segregation shapes biased policing today (WaPo, 8/10)

– The fast growing Montgomery County Public Schools system expects to see over 2,500 new students this coming school year, continuing 8 years of growth. (WaPo, 8/11)

Gates Foundation to ‘stay the course’ as it seeks to help shape state education policies (WaPo, 8/11)

ARTS EDUCATION | Grading Creativity: Can a standardized exam save arts education? (Atlantic, 8/10)

JUSTICE | The Elusiveness of an Official ID After Prison (Atlantic, 8/11)

HOUSING | Over on the HAND blog, Lisa Sturtevant explains the strategies available for jurisdictions to preserve existing affordable housing, a critical need in our region. (HAND, 8/5)

PHILANTHROPY | Community Foundations Pursue Impact Investments to Build Local Economies (Chronicle, 8/10)

Jobs
Grants Coordinator | City of Takoma Park – NEW!
Development Associate | Washington Area Women’s Foundation – NEW!
Program Assistant | The Morris & Gwendolyn Cafritz Foundation
Philanthropic Services Associate | Community Foundation for the National Capital Region

Hiring? Post your job on WRAG’s job board and get it included in the Daily! Free for members; $60/60 days for non-members. Details here.

Community Calendar – September 2016
Click the image below to access WRAG’S Community Calendar. To have your event included, please send basic information including event title, date/time, location, a brief description of the event, and a link for further details to seder@washingtongrantmakers.org.

Ever wonder what an afternoon in the life of a squirrel is like? Wonder no longer.

The (Almost) Daily will be back on Tuesday!

– Rebekah