August 17, 2016 / Buffy Beaudoin-Schwartz, Editor

DC Police Chief Cathy Lanier announces departure

DISTRICT
After a long and distinguished career with the D.C. police department, Chief Cathy Lanier announced Tuesday that she will step down to head security for the NFL. An interim police chief and a search process will be announced soon. (WaPo, 8/16):

Lanier is ending her 26-year career after recently turning 49, and four months short of serving a full decade heading one of the nation’s highest-profile police departments. She was the District’s first permanent female chief.

COMMUNITY The DC Trust has released information regarding out-of-school time funding for FY 2017, which will be administered by the United Way of the National Capital Area. Read their message here.

ENVIRONMENT | There’s a new lawsuit concerning pollution in the Anacostia and Potomac rivers alleging the EPA is allowing dangerous amounts of E. coli into the two rivers. (DCist, 8/16)

The passage rate on Virginia’s statewide standards of learning exams rose this year, though the achievement gap between black and Hispanic students and white students remained. In northern Virginia, every jurisdiction except Alexandria had a higher passing rate on the reading and math exams than the state as a whole. (WaPo, 8/16)

– Opinion: With technology creating greater automation across any number of fields, this writer calls for the presidential candidates to focus on the kinds of education needed in the 21st century workforce. (WaPo, 8/16)

AGING | A DC program is providing help to those who need it by recycling and redistributing expensive medical equipment. (WaPo, 8/16)

POVERTY | Delays Persist in Shuttering D.C. Homeless Shelter That Few Consider Livable (NYT, 8/15)

EQUITY | Why a Data-Driven Approach Matters to Race Equity. (Casey Connects Blog, 8/8)

RACE | The Need for Black Rage in Philanthropy. (Invested Impact, 8/9)

PHILANTHROPY | The Foundation World Couldn’t Care Less About Your Cause? Start a Giving Circle. (Inside Philanthropy, 8/11)

As much as I love and embrace technology, with four children,  I do sometimes feel the tech fatigue …. Pokémon or not – Buffy