Northern Virginia Health Foundation Reflects on 10 Years
– As they reflect on the work of the Northern Virginia Health Foundation the last decade, Foundation President and CEO Patricia N. Mathews and Board Chair Lisa G. Kaplowitz believe the health care safety net in the region has become stronger. And, they share some lessons learned:
As we take a moment to reflect on the occasion of our 10th anniversary, there is so much that we have learned. But three lessons stand apart:
1. Providing general operating support is essential.
2. Grantmaking is important, but it isn’t enough.
3. Working in partnership with grantees is required.
Learn more by reading their 10th anniversary annual report. (NoVAFH, 8/23)
– Medicaid to Pay for Repellent in Virginia to Ward Off Zika (WTOP, 8/24)
– Tamara Copeland writes about Tackling Racial Justice: Why, How and So What? for the National Committee for Responsive Philanthropy (Responsive Philanthropy Blog, Summer 2016)
– Philanthropy’s infrastructure is building a new philanthropic network that will, among other things, address racial equity, diversity, and inclusion in philanthropy – with the Forum of Regional Association’s of Grantmakers leading the charge. Washington Grantmakers is a member of the Forum, and Tamara Copeland recently sat on a Racial Equity panel at the July Annual Conference, where she shared WRAG’s “Putting Racism on the Table” work.
ECONOMY | The Plight Of The White Working Class Isn’t Economic, It’s Cultural (The Federalist, 8/17)
– Virginia Could be Facing Much Bigger Budget Shortfall than Expected (WaPo, 8/24)
– DC residents are working harder to own a house than others around the country. (WaPo, 8/25)
– DC sets a record with more than 2 million foreign tourists in 2015. (WTOP, 8/24)
NONPROFITS | Nonprofit Governance and the Power of Things – Nonprofit boards often have a mix of personalities. This useful and classic article examines boardroom behavior. (NP Quarterly, 8/12/15)
– How to help those impacted by the earthquake in Italy. (Mashable, 8/25)
– More Philanthropists Should Think Like Venture Capitalists (Forbes, 8/17)
Community Calendar – September 2016
Click the image below to access WRAG’S Community Calendar. To have your event included, please send basic information including event title, date/time, location, a brief description of the event, and a link for further details to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ooooh, it just feels wrong to want the Bacon Donutwich – doesn’t it? I’m going to go for it. – Buffy