September 15, 2016 / Rebekah Seder, Editor

America faces a massive teacher shortage

– According to a new study, the country faces a massive and increasing teacher shortage, affecting nearly every state.  (WaPo, 9/14):

The shortages are disproportionately felt in special education, math and science, and in bilingual and English-language education.

Regardless of the state, students in high-poverty and high-minority schools are typically hit hardest when there are teacher shortages. In 2014, on average, less than one percent of teachers were uncertified in low-minority schools, while four times as many were uncertified in high-minority schools, the study showed.

D.C. charter school wins $10 million prize to redesign high school (WaPo, 9/14)

HOUSING | Officials have approved $13 million in predevelopment financing to rehab the Barry Farm public housing complex in Ward 8, as part of the New Communities Initiative. (City Paper, 9/15)

REGION | These maps show who the region’s non-English speakers are, and where they live (GGW, 9/14) Interesting fact: there are 26 language groups in our region with at least 1,000 speakers.

RACE | Alexandria is hosting a public hearing on Saturday over how to deal with the many Confederate memorials and street names throughout the city. (WaPo, 9/15)

EQUITY | Virginia’s Indian tribes clear another hurdle toward federal recognition (WaPo, 9/15)

ARTS | TheatreWeek Is the New Restaurant Week (Washingtonian, 9/14)

PHILANTHROPY | Foundations Bet It All on Advancing Equity (Chronicle, 9/14 – subscription required)

Social Sector Job Openings
Nonprofit Financial Planning and Analysis Manager | Arabella Advisors
Education Finance and Policy Analyst | DC Fiscal Policy Institute
Communications Director | Grantmakers In Health
Program Director | Grantmakers In Health
Analyst | Arabella Advisors
Operations Associate | ACT for Alexandria
Grants Coordinator | City of Takoma Park

Hiring? Post your job on WRAG’s job board and get it included in the Daily! Free for members; $60/60 days for non-members. Details here.

Community Calendar – October 2016
Click the image below to access WRAG’S Community Calendar. To have your event included, please send basic information including event title, date/time, location, a brief description of the event, and a link for further details to seder@washingtongrantmakers.org.

Can you tango? Yes? Ok…but can you do it underwater?

The (Almost) Daily will be back on Monday!

– Rebekah