September 22, 2016 / Buffy Beaudoin-Schwartz, Editor

Pilot Program Launched for New Cab Service in Underserved DC Neighborhoods

TRANSPORTATION/EQUITY | The District has launched a pilot program for a new cab service in neighborhoods historically underserved by taxis. The “Neighborhood Ride Service” will have 8-seat shuttle vans running in Wards 4,7, and 8 that will charge passengers a flat rate of $5 or less.

Where and when taxis roam has been a sensitive issue. Many cab drivers are themselves people of color — largely immigrants from East Africa — and bristle at the suggestion they are discriminating against black residents by staying out of their neighborhoods. Taxi drivers have said they cruise downtown or Capitol Hill because that is where they can earn the most money. But residents of poorly-served neighborhoods have argued they are suffering from a stereotype that their streets are dangerous, giving cabbies an excuse to stay away from the outer wards.

The new pilot program is made possible though grant funding from the Department of For-Hire Vehicles, and the department is asking the public for feedback before it decides to make the service permanent. (WAMU, 9/20)

ECONOMYThe DC Area Has the Highest Median Income in the US Again (Washingtonian, 9/21)

POVERTYMore D.C. Residents Live in Poverty Than Before the Great Recession, Says Study (City Paper, 9/16)

HOUSING | Zoning in the District and other cities is getting too expensive, and has an effect on the economy. (GGW, 9/22)

COMMUNITY | Building Police-Community Trust Through Reform (PhilanTopic, 9/20)

HEALTH
– Raising the smoking age to 21 may not happen because it will cost the District too much money – $5 million over 4 years. (WTOP, 9/22)

– Bowser Proposes Doubling The Amount Medical Marijuana Patients Can Buy (dcist, 9/21)

– Knowing what it’s like to depend on school meals for nutrition, Jamal McCall and his team at Elite Group Solutions are making over 1,500 meals each day for charter schools in D.C. (City Paper, 9/20)

– D.C. would have more oversight over student loan debt collectors under council proposal (WaPo, 9/20)

– Many schools aren’t prepared to assist the one in five students suffering from mental health issues, but many experts point to one model to help. (NPR, 9/20)

Don’t blame the teachers. Blame the curriculum. (The Atlantic, 9/21)

PHILANTHROPY | The 2016 MacArthur ‘Geniuses’ have been announced – 23 people recognized this year for their work in the arts and humanities – who receive a $625,000 grant award, including DC native and playwright Branden Jacobs-Jenkins. (WaPo, 9/22)

Social Sector Job Openings
Philanthropic Services Associate | The Community Foundation for the National Capital
Senior Program Manager, Community Benefits | Kaiser Permanente
Nonprofit Financial Planning and Analysis Manager | Arabella Advisors
Education Finance and Policy Analyst | DC Fiscal Policy Institute
Communications Director | Grantmakers In Health
Program Director | Grantmakers In Health
Analyst | Arabella Advisors
Grants Coordinator | City of Takoma Park

Hiring? Post your job on WRAG’s job board and get it included in the Daily! Free for members; $60/60 days for non-members. Details here.

Community Calendar – October 2016
Click the image below to access WRAG’S Community Calendar. To have your event included, please send basic information including event title, date/time, location, a brief description of the event, and a link for further details to seder@washingtongrantmakers.org.

It’s officially Fall today! Besides cooler weather and beautiful foliage, how much do we really know about the autumnal equinox

The (Almost) Daily will be back on Monday!

– Buffy