September 28, 2016 / Buffy Beaudoin-Schwartz, Editor

Growing numbers of Central American asylum seekers coming to DC area

The number of undocumented Central Americans entering the U.S. is rising due to violence and poverty in that region, a growing influx that may constitute a refugee crisis. This year, an estimated 4,000 unaccompanied Central American children alone have settled in the metro D.C. region. (WAMU, 9/28)

The U.S. Border Patrol categorizes apprehensions into two groups: “Family units,” which mean an adult and at least one minor, and “unaccompanied children.” In fiscal 2014, there were 66,144 family units and 66,115 unaccompanied children apprehended at the Southwestern border. Those numbers shrank to 34,565 and 35,485, respectively, after enforcement ramped up in fiscal 2015. The flow has returned in fiscal 2016, with 68,080 family units and 54,052 unaccompanied children apprehended at the border through August.

DISTRICT
– There may be another impending government shut down – what happens to D.C. if it does? (Washingtonian, 9/27)

– The D.C. statehood conversation continues at an upcoming public hearing a few weeks in advance of voters being asked to approve a referendum calling for D.C. to become the 51st state. (WaPo, 9/27)

– D.C. Universities And Businesses Propose Bill Requiring 8 Weeks Of Paid Leave (WAMU, 9/27)

– School adopts gender-neutral homecoming court, so there might be no ‘king’ or ‘queen’ (WaPo, 9/27)

– Racial bias among preschool teachers is the focus of a new Yale study. (WaPo, 9/27)

Students in Md. counties underperform in test for college readiness (WTOP, 9/28)

HEALTH | A new, larger Planned Parenthood office location opens in Northeast Washington. (WJLA, 9/28)

– Grantmakers in the Arts continues to update their focus on Racial Equity in Arts Philanthropy with new definitions, recommendations, and resources to support funders in this work. The materials and efforts on collective action toward racial equity are directed toward arts funders, but appropriate for the entire philanthropic sector.

– The Washington Business Journal is seeking nominations for their Corporate Philanthropy Awards, which honor partnerships between local businesses and nonprofits that demonstrate positive outcomes for both organizations. Nominations are due this Friday, September 30th.

– After 25 Years of Grant Making, I Worry We Have Lost Sight of Nonprofit Struggles (CP, 9/6)

HOUSINGRent in our region is expensive. Does that mean it’s unaffordable? (GGW, 9/27)

TRANSPORTATION | Va. budget shortfall to have some impact on transportation side (WTOP, 9/28)

Pumpkins aren’t the only game in town this fall! Brussel sprouts are my favorite – Buffy