October 14, 2016 / Buffy Beaudoin-Schwartz, Editor

Is D.C.’s $106 million investment in affordable housing enough?

HOUSING
– D.C. has spent an “historic” $106 million on affordable housing in the last year,  but experts say the money is just a drop in the bucket. (WAMU, 10/13)

“No, $100 million is definitely not enough,” says David Bowers, vice president of Enterprise Community Partners, a nonprofit developer [and member of WRAG’s Board of Directors]. “We’ve got a long way to go. That means there are tens of thousands of District households who are currently severely housing-cost burdened, who are suffering every day.”

Bowers’ point — backed up by many housing advocates, and even [D.C. Mayor] Bowser herself — highlights a difficult reality the mayor faces: Though she is making significant investments in affordable housing, fully addressing the crisis would probably take billions of dollars. According to the Urban Institute, it’s expected to cost between $3.1 billion and $5.2 billion for D.C. to meet its affordable housing needs through 2020. At the current funding level Bowser has promised for the Housing Production Trust Fund through her term — $100 million every year — the city will fall far short of the Urban Institute’s estimate.

Related: Housing affordability is a regional issue. WRAG and the Enterprise Community Loan Fund’s Our Region, Your Investment initiative is helping to bring new forms of capital to affordable housing. Find out more here.

– D.C. Ranks First On List Of Most Mortgaged Metro Areas (City Paper, 10/12)

ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT | D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser has announced a new campaign to invite feedback from residents on the District’s “Comprehensive Plan”. (City Paper, 10/13)

HOMELESSNESS | Amanda Andere, CEO of Funders Together to End Homelessness discusses why racial inequity must be discussed in efforts to end homelessness. (U.S. Interagency on Homelessness, 10/13)

HEALTHY COMMUNITIES | A new report by the Build Healthy Places Network, Summarizing the Landscape of Healthy Communities, is a review of demonstration programs working towards health equity.

Related: There are still a few spaces left at next week’s Brightest Minds program with Dr. Steven Woolf from the Center on Society and Health at VCU. He’ll be talking about the various factors that need to be present in communities for them to thrive. This event is open to the public. More info here.

– Getting an education at Prince George’s Community College (PGCC) may be free in the future to graduates of public schools in the county. (Prince Georges Sentinel, 10/12)

– $53 Million Fund Blends Philanthropy and Investing for a Big Bet in Education (Chronicle, 10/4)

Why For-Profit Education Fails  (Atlantic, November Issue)

NONPROFITS | A new resource from Grantmakers for Effective Organizations (GEO), Strengthening Nonprofit Capacity: Core Concepts in Capacity Building, is designed to make effective capacity building both understandable and doable by elevating and collecting the experiences from the more than 5,000 members in the GEO community.

The Meyer Foundation received the Historical Society of Washington, D.C.’s  Making D.C. History Award for Distinction in Local Philanthropy at the Making D.C. History last Friday – here’s the video highlighting their work.

Obama Foundation names 17 leaders to ‘inclusion council’ on diversity issues (Chicago Tribune, 10/11)

Emerging Practitioners in Philanthropy (EPIP) DC is seeking candidates for the 2017 term of the Steering Committee, the chapter’s leadership team. They are looking for motivated individuals who bring a passion to their mission and diverse perspectives, ages, experiences and skills to the committee. Applications are being accepted through November 8.

– An effort by a Georgetown student to bring together students and those who work for the University resulted in more understanding, and lots of giving. (WaPo, 10/13)

Social Sector Job Openings
Community Investment Associate (Grants Administration) | The Community Foundation for the National Capital Region
Director, Community Affairs – NCA | CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield
President & CEO | Delaware Grantmakers Association
Philanthropic Services Associate | The Community Foundation for the National Capital
Senior Program Manager, Community Benefits | Kaiser Permanente
Nonprofit Financial Planning and Analysis Manager | Arabella Advisors
Education Finance and Policy Analyst | DC Fiscal Policy Institute
Communications Director | Grantmakers In Health
Program Director | Grantmakers In Health
Analyst | Arabella Advisors

Hiring? Post your job on WRAG’s job board and get it included in the Daily! Free for members; $60/60 days for non-members. Details here.

Community Calendar

So many fun and scary things to do in the DC area this Halloween season! – Buffy