October 25, 2016 / Buffy Beaudoin-Schwartz, Editor

Meyer Foundation invests $1 million for affordable housing in the Greater Washington region

HOUSING 
– The Meyer Foundation has announced a major impact investment of $1 million to support the production and preservation of affordable housing in the Greater Washington region. The funds will be invested through Our Region, Your Investment, an impact investing initiative launched this year by the Enterprise Community Loan Fund and the Washington Regional Association of Grantmakers.

Our Region, Your Investment was created in response to the more than 150,000 families in the Greater Washington region currently in urgent need of affordable housing solutions—a number expected to double in less than 10 years.

“Affordable housing is one of our region’s most significant challenges,” says Meyer CEO Nicky Goren. “For low-income individuals and families, it leads to an increased risk of homelessness, reduced access to employment opportunities, and financial instability. More broadly, a lack of affordable housing reduces our region’s economic competitiveness, which affects us all.”

– New legislation is being proposed to help low-income renters in the District. (WaPo, 10/22)

HOMELESSNESS | Over 30 families have been displaced after a fire broke out at the DC General homeless shelter. (WaPo, 10/24)

COMMUNITY | Congrats to WRAG’s Tamara Copeland for earning an honorable mention Excellence in Chief Executive Leadership Award today from the Center for Nonprofit Advancement!

HEALTHCARE | A new regional medical center is coming to Prince Georges County that will improve healthcare options and outcomes for residents. (PG Sentinel, 10/20)

REGIONSkip The Line: Early Voting For General Election Ramps Up Across The Region (WAMU, 10/21)

WORKFORCE/RACE | Wage gains among the African American community are outpacing gains for whites since the recession ended – but there is still a large racial pay gap. (WSJ, 10/20)

DIVERSITY | According to a new analysis, women in D.C. represent one of the most diverse groups in the country. (City Paper, 10/21)

EDUCATION/RACE | Black College Grads Owe Nearly Twice as Much Student Debt as Whites Four Years Out (WSJ, 10/20)

DISTRICT | We know where most of DC’s population lives. Does Metro run through those places? (GGW, 10/24)

NONPROFITS | Opinion: How Better Data Can Lead Nonprofits to Greater Diversity (Chronicle, 10/24)

I have eagerly awaited SNL’s political comedy each weekend this election season – here’s a fun reminder of why Saturday Night Live helps us laugh about politics – Buffy