November 14, 2016 / Buffy Beaudoin-Schwartz, Editor

Wrapping up WRAG’s 2016 Annual Meeting, Philanthropy in Bold

Last week, over 280 funders and nonprofit leaders joined WRAG for our 2016 Annual Meeting, Philanthropy in Bold.

At the business meeting, members elected four new board members. We are honored to welcome to the WRAG Board:

• Tracye Funn, Manager of Corporate Contributions & Supplier Diversity, Washington Gas
  • Anne Gunsteens, Executive Director, The J. Willard & Alice S. Marriott Foundation
  • Graham McLaughlin, Managing Director of Corporate Responsibility, The Advisory Board Company
  • Crystal Townsend, President, Healthcare Initiative Foundation

And, we recognized the contributions of three outgoing Board members:

• Anna Bard, SVP, Community Affairs Manager – MD, DC & VA, Wells Fargo
  • Carol Thompson Cole, President & CEO, Venture Philanthropy Partners
  • Patricia N. Mathews, President & CEO, Northern Virginia Health Foundation

The annual meeting also marked the release of WRAG’s new strategic framework, which will guide our work through 2017 and 2018. Click here to read the document, which lays out WRAG’s commitment to promoting an equitable region, strengthening our lasting value to the funding community, and diversifying our organization’s finances to ensure a solid foundation.

Check out the event photos on Facebook. And if you were there, please tag yourself!

PHILANTHROPY/ELECTION
Opinion: Philanthropy historian Ben Soskis considers the question of how philanthropy should adapt to the profound changes our country is sure to undergo in the years ahead. (CP, 11/10)

Clues for the nonprofit sector on where Trump and the incoming Congress will take the country and the potential impact on civil society. (NP Quarterly, 11/11)

HOUSING | D.C. ‘Strike Force’ Fleshes Out Affordable Housing Recommendations (City Paper, 11/9)

EDUCATION/ARTS | DCPS has awarded $1.7 million to 16 schools for programs that address the needs of boys and young men of color. Many of the programs are art-based, and are aimed at both closing the achievement gap and better engaging students in school. (WaPo, 11/14)

TRANSIT/EQUITY
Metro service for the elderly, people with disabilities sees sharp service declines (WaPo, 11/13)

Metro’s Proposed Bus Cuts Worry Riders With Few Potential Alternatives (WAMU, 11/11)

So, about that amazing “Super Moon” – check out these spectacular shots from around the world… including one from a friend of mine in Maine. – Buffy

One Comment

1. Douglas Stewart / Nov 14 2016 5:14 pm

The affordable housing partnerships of DC area funders received some national attention in today’s Inside Philanthropy blog, FYI. The blog piece is at http://www.insidephilanthropy.com/home/2016/11/14/how-are-these-metro-area-stakeholders-coming-together-to-address-the-housing-crisis