November 15, 2016 / Buffy Beaudoin-Schwartz, Editor

Schools in VA are becoming more economically and racially divided

EDUCATION | During the past decade, schools in Virginia have grown more racially and economically segregated. According to a new report, the number of students who attend schools that are considered racially and economically isolated has doubled in the last ten years. (WaPo, 11/14)

The number of Virginia schools isolated by race and poverty has grown from 82 in 2003 to 136 in 2014, according to the Commonwealth Institute, a left-leaning think tank based in Richmond. The number of students in those schools has grown from about 36,000 to more than 74,000, according to the report, published this month.

The report defined an isolated school as one where more than 75 percent of the students are black or Hispanic and more than 75 percent of students qualify for free or reduced-price meals, an indicator of poverty.

WRAG COMMUNITY
– Last week, the WRAG staff and board recognized Tamara Copeland’s 10th anniversary as president of WRAG with a surprise celebration at our annual VIP reception. Tamara’s incredible leadership was honored by our current board chair, Lynn Tadlock (Claude Moore Charitable Foundation), as well as five former board chairs: Patricia N. Mathews (Northern Virginia Health Foundation), Rose Ann Cleveland (The Morris & Gwendolyn Cafritz Foundation), and Viki Betancourt (formerly of the World Bank Group), and special messages from Maxine Baker (formerly of the Freddie Mac Foundation) and Terri Freeman (formerly of the Community Foundation for the National Capital Region). Patricia Mathews even read an original poem marking the occasion. We hope you will join us in congratulating Tamara on her 10 years at WRAG!

– And, at tonight’s Association of Fundraising Professionals DC’s National Capital Philanthropy Day event, Tamara will be honored with an award for Outstanding Diversity Leader. WRAG member The Advisory Board Company is also being honored with an award for Outstanding Institutional Partner.

PHILANTHROPY | In the latest edition of WRAG’s Our Region, Our Giving report, we take a look at trends in WRAG member philanthropy in the Greater Washington region in 2015. The report represents nearly $186 million in giving to nonprofit organizations that serve the region, and over $3.3 billion in assets. (Daily, 11/15)

IMMIGRATION | Thousands of immigrants in the D.C. region now face an uncertain future after the presidential election (WAMU, 11/17)

HOUSING150 rentals for low- and moderate-income tenants planned for D.C.’s Deanwood (WaPo, 11/15)

RACE | The List Of Hate Crimes And Racist Incidents Around D.C. Is Growing (dcist, 11/14)

Awww, c’mon – if it’s going to be a colder winter, we should at least have some snow to go with it!

It’s been a fantastic three months editing the Daily! I have truly enjoyed working with my WRAG colleagues and the DC-area funding community. Although my contract has ended, I look forward to continuing to write about philanthropy and highlighting issues that are important to the sector. Let’s keep in touch! – Buffy