November 21, 2016 / Kendra Allen, Editor

Reflecting on two decades of D.C.’s public charter school system

EDUCATION | D.C.’s public charter school system has officially been running for two decades this year. With slightly higher scores on academic tests and higher graduation rates than traditional public schools, the advocate who started it all helps to reflect on its flaws and advises on the future. (WaPo, 11/20)

The District’s charter school movement turned 20 at the start of this academic year. During the past two decades, charters have grown from three schools educating 160 students to more than 100 independent schools that educate almost 42,000 students, close to half of the District’s public school enrollment.

The city has one of the highest percentages of students enrolled in charter schools in the country, behind New Orleans and Detroit. School choice advocates hail the city’s charter schools as a model for the nation, while critics say that parents have more chance — a lottery ticket to get into one of a limited number of sought-after schools — than real choice.

PHILANTHROPY/RACISM
-WRAG has released its next video in its Structural Racism Theater series. Watch “Darkness in Emerald City” here!

Related: In case you missed it, last month WRAG’s president Tamara Copeland discussed the goal behind Structural Racism Theatre and why we here at WRAG felt the need to go outside our comfort zone with these videos. (Daily, 10/31). And, you can check out the first video, “A Pernicious Compromise,” here.

-Yanique Redwood, Consumer Health Foundation’s President and CEO, reflects on the dismay many of us have felt since the election and urges us to finally confront the U.S.’s racist roots. (CHF Blog, 11/21)

GENTRIFICATION/DISTRICT
-Often, gentrification brings resentment, but in this Shaw neighborhood, longtime residents also find new purpose in interacting with their new neighbors. (WaPo, 11/20)

To Stop Adams Morgan Building, Group Tests New Approach: Squatter’s Rights (WAMU, 11/21)

-The 11th Street Bridge project’s purpose is to bridge a community. And, before that happens, these local groups are supporting the communities that will be impacted by the development. (NextCity, 11,21)

JUSTICE | The Maryland Court of Appeals is hoping to change the bail system with a new rule that forbids judges from setting high bail for a person if they’re not a flight risk or a danger to society. (WaPo, 11/18)

TRANSPORTATION | The Federal City Council offers a new solution to our Metro problem: toss out the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority Compact and start over. (WBJ, 11/21)

NONPROFIT | A new bill in Virginia would put new restrictions on individuals working with outside groups to register people to vote. (Richmond Times, 11/20)

Our feet have the power to light Dupont Circle at night!

-Kendra