November 28, 2016 / Kendra Allen, Editor

Change is coming to this D.C. community

GENTRIFICATION | Public housing and private residences have intermingled in this D.C. community for many years. Kenilworth has seen much of the District’s historic periods including Home Rule, the creation of the financial board, and the unfortunate crack epidemic. Frank Matthews has watched from his family-owned home as the Kenilworth Courts, a public housing project, steadily declined through the years. Now, he’ll watch as they are torn down to create a mixed-income community. (WaPo, 11/25)

His property, just above the District’s eastern tip, is on Douglas Street NE, a tumbledown block these days, but once a tidy enclave of middle-class African Americans. Here, for almost 100 years, three generations of the Matthews clan, including Frank, witnessed the sweep of D.C. history from the same wood-frame, farmhouse-style abode.

In the new Washington that emerged from 1990s fiscal chaos, an influx of affluent professionals, mainly white, has altered the character of neighborhoods close to downtown. Now, as the tide of gentrification rolls toward outlying sections of the city, Matthews sees it lapping at his doorstep in the long-forsaken Kenilworth-Parkside area.

POVERTY | Tommie Shelby, Harvard professor of African-American Studies and Philosophy, stresses the role of the urban poor in addressing poverty and argues that programs like residential integration are not fair solutions. (Atlantic, 11/22)

HEALTH | D.C. Mayor Bowser signed legislation last week to regulate electronic cigarettes and will sign legislation to raise the smoking age to 21. She also plans to make Nationals park tobacco free. (WaPo, 11/24)

MARYLAND/ IMMIGRATION | A family driven from Honduras due to gang violence and poverty were recently united but are wary of possible deportation. (WaPo, 11/25)

TRANSPORTATION
Judge Declines to Reinstate Federal Approval of Purple Line in Maryland (Bethesda Beat, 11/22)

When bikeshare stations are near Metro, more people use them… especially if they’re outside of DC (GGW, 11/23)

EDUCATION/VIRGINIA | The Loudoun County school system submitted an updated preliminary budget for 2018 to account for the expected increase in enrollment of special education students, English language learners and economically disadvantaged students. (Loudoun Times, 11/25)

HUMAN RIGHTS | At a dinner last week, three guests tweeted a picture of themselves performing a Nazi “Sieg Heil” salute, causing many to wonder if D.C. hotels and restaurants can ban White supremacists. (WAMU, 11/23)

What’s the strangest thing you’ve lost at an airport? This airport employee has seen teeth, a prosthetic leg, a power saw – and most strange: a fax machine.

Kendra