December 5, 2016 / Kendra Allen, Editor

D.C. Mayor Bowser wants more diversity in tech jobs

WORKFORCE | Mayor Bowser released a new report outlining how the city plans to make D.C.’s technology sector more inclusive. The report, Pathways to Inclusion, lists goals such as creating 5,000 new tech jobs for underrepresented workers and 500 new tech businesses founded by underrepresented entrepreneurs. (DCist, 12/3)

A new report outlines that, as it currently stands, the city has just under 30,000 tech jobs, defined as “occupations in computer and information systems, engineers, and natural sciences.” Of those, 49 percent are held by white men, 25 percent by white women, 9 percent by black men, and 8 percent by black women.

By examining the barriers preventing people from entering the tech field, the mayor’s office, in conjunction with the Innovation and Technology Inclusion Council, is hoping to begin the process of eradicating them, though it has yet to release any formal policy proposals to achieve those numbers.

– A D.C. grocer raised her employees wages to $12.50. Now she’s waiting to see if customers are willing to pay the slightly higher costs. (WaPo, 12/2)

EDUCATION/POVERTY | Federal grant money to help Virginia and Richmond-area schools expand preschool for disadvantaged children (Richmond Times, 12/4)

IMMIGRATION | Virginia Tech undocumented students push for ‘sanctuary campus’ (The Roanoke Times, 11/4)

AGING | There are new guidelines on how to address a growing population of seniors called “elder orphans”, who are alone and have no family to take care of them. (Kaiser Health News, 11/28)

ENVIRONMENT | Maryland anti-fracking advocates work to ban the practice in the state as a moratorium on fracking is set to end next year. (WaPo, 12/4)

ARTS & CULTURE/RACE | A photography collection featuring the Baltimore uprising after Freddie Gray’s death was on display this past weekend. The collection is part of the “Baltimore Stories: Narratives and the Life of an American City” project and is meant to prompt a discussion on race and the impact of narratives. (Baltimore Sun, 12/3)

Behold this really cool map of DC’s historic buildings! (Yes, I did look up my house.)

-Kendra