December 7, 2016 / Kendra Allen, Editor

Prince George’s County program prepares students for health care career

WORKFORCE/EDUCATION | A Gaithersburg (Maryland) High School program, in partnership with Ingleside at King’s Farm, a retirement community with a nursing home, allows students to train for careers in health care with real patients. While the students are learning to work as certified nursing assistants, they are also learning valuable life lessons. (WaPo, 12/6)

The goal is to prepare students for a career in health care, whether that means eventually going on to study medicine or beginning work as a certified nursing assistant, geriatric assistant or home health aide immediately out of high school.

The program, which was first implemented from 1999 to 2005 at Eleanor Roosevelt High School in Prince George’s County, was started by William Leahy, a neurologist who is now on Ingleside’s board of directors. He hopes to expand it to the District and Northern Virginia by next fall. Students don’t pay tuition; it is funded by a foundation that Leahy started, and the course is taught by Linda Hall, a nursing professor at Montgomery College’s Workforce Development and Continuing Education division.

CHILDREN & FAMILIES | Community of Hope’s Healthy Start program offers a lifeline to new parents (WaPo, 12/6)

HIV/AIDS | Funders Concerned About AIDS, the leading voice on philanthropic resources for the global AIDS epidemic, released its 14th annual Philanthropic Support to Address HIV/AIDS report. This year’s findings indicate that global philanthropic funding to fight the epidemic increased 10 percent from 2014, reaching $663 million, the highest level of funding since 2008. Read the full report here.

HOUSING
– A new Matters @ Hand blog stresses the need for regional leadership in furthuring work to advance fair housing in the Washington, DC area and offers advice on how to stay engaged with different jurisdictions. (Helping Hands Blog, 12/4)

A new apartment building is coming to Benning Road, along the streetcar route. (WCP, 12/6)

JUSTICE/HEALTH
-Montgomery County’s new mental health court will work with people with mental illnesses who are repeatedly arrested but have few options for treatment. (NBC4, 12/1)

-Returning citizens face many obstacles once they are released from prison. Now, doctors are trying to make accessing and navigating the healthcare system one less problem. (NPR, 12/5)

JUSTICE REFORMFairfax supervisors approve civilian board to review police-abuse cases (WaPo, 12/6)

The U.S. Capitol Christmas Tree is officially lit!

-Kendra