January 4, 2017 / Kendra Allen, Editor

D.C.’s Deanwood neighborhood sees rising housing prices

GENTRIFICATION | A predominantly black D.C. neighborhood in Ward 7 is slated to be the next target of gentrification. The neighborhood, with Victorian houses built by black architects, has become associated with poverty and crime over time. Recently, a real estate agent has noticed the increase in housing prices. (DCist, 12/30)

Kimberly Gaines, a creative entrepreneur, also recently awoke to how Deanwood’s housing market has changed. In researching nearby homes for her aunt, she found that prices were about triple what she paid for her Deanwood home in 2003.

And “folks are definitely moving into the neighborhood,” she says. At this point, “everybody’s looking like ok we’re going to go settle over here—we’re going to stick our flag in here and we’re going to make this our home. But in turn, what does that mean for the residents who are already in existence here?”

In order to preserve the neighborhood’s culture, retain longtime residents, and bring back basic amenities, there needs to be strong leadership, Walker argues.

RACIAL EQUITY | Lori Kaplan, President and CEO of Latin American Youth Center, shares how the organization is tackling racism with its Community Organizing for Racial Equity (CORE) committee and how WRAG’s Putting Racism on the Table materials have helped inform their work. (Daily, 1/4)

HIV/AIDS | The District is trying to increase black women’s access to pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP), a pill taken daily that greatly reduces a person’s risk for HIV. (WaPo, 12/29)

Related: For more background on this program, check out this recent blog post about the Washington AIDS Partnership’s D.C. PrEP for Women Initiative (Daily, 11/1)

– Rick Moyers, Meyer Foundation‘s Vice President of Programs and Communications, discusses lessons learned after making the decision to help grantee organizations develop a better fundraising approach. (Nonprofit Leadership Blog, 1/3)

– Philanthropic giving has long been seen as a charitable act towards the less fortunate. This article argues why the philanthropic sector should be funding to address historical injustices instead and how. (SSIR, 1/3)

EDUCATION | Minority students at U-Md. issue 64 demands, including prayer rooms in every major building and shuttles to Muslim center (WaPo, 1/3) 

INAUGURATION
– Some District restaurants will donate inauguration weekend proceeds to area nonprofits. (DCist, 1/3)

– A marijuana legalization advocacy group plans to hand out the drug during the inauguration. (Washington Times, 1/3)

This local kid is cooking meals I’ve never even heard of…

-Kendra