January 5, 2017 / Kendra Allen, Editor

A new children’s museum planned for D.C.

ARTS | D.C. has been without a children’s museum since the National Children’s Museum moved from H Street to National Harbor before closing in 2014. Now, children can visit a a temporary one, Explore!, at the National Portrait Gallery. The permanent museum will be located on a piece of land being redeveloped by the Morris & Gwendolyn Cafritz Foundation. (WBJ, 1/3)

Explore! at the National Portrait Gallery will focus on interactive exhibits related to portraiture. Children of all ages will be able to draw and trace portraits, use felt pieces to create faces, do their own power poses for an interactive selfie wall and more.

The exhibit, which will remain up for a year, is meant to stir up support for the permanent museum before it is built, according to Rhonda Buckley, who will serve as its executive director.

“Jane’s[Cafritz] vision was to build community before they build the museum,” Buckley said of the museum’s benefactor. The longtime philanthropist started that work before the Explore! idea came up, purchasing and outfitting a school bus called Mission Mobile that travels to schools and engages students in science- and math-related missions that require collaboration and teamwork.

– How foundations should make arts funding more targeted and impactful. (SSIR, 12/22)

RACIAL EQUITY | January 17, 2017 will mark the first observance of a National Day of Racial Healing. The day is a part of the W.K. Kellogg Foundation’s Truth, Racial Healing and Transformation initiative. Organizations and other committed individuals are encouraged to plan activities around the purpose of the day, which is “to heal the wounds created by racial, ethnic and religious bias and build an equitable and just society where all children can thrive.”

EQUALITY
-A Prince William County, Virginia lawmaker has proposed a bill that would regulate transgender persons’ use of public restrooms. Although many, including the lawmaker who proposed it, expect the bill to fail, it has still garnered outrage. (WaPo, 1/4)

Republican-led Congress denies D.C. delegate a vote. Again. (WaPo, 1/3)

AGING | By 2035, one in five American households will be led by a person older than 65. A new report lists the challenges of aging in place. (Citylab, 1/3)

CORPORATE PHILANTHROPY | The Corporate Volunteer Council of Montgomery County has announced that it will become a program of Leadership Montgomery. CVC plans to serve new and established leaders in the county while providing added opportunities for community service and volunteerism in leadership.

FOOD | Tomatoes and lettuce and eggplant, oh my! Farming warm-weather produce in winter (WTOP, 1/4)

Social Sector Job Openings

Associate Director, Policy & Communications | Forum of Regional Associations of Grantmakers 
Administrative Associate
| Forum of Regional Associations of Grantmakers 
Manager, Operations & Programming
| Walker’s Legacy Foundation
Senior Associate, Engagement – Mid-Atlantic and Retail and Direct Bank markets
| Capital One
Executive Director
| Philanthropy Network Greater Philadelphia
Grants Coordinator
| La Clinica del Pueblo
Director of Development and Communications
| Washington Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights and Urban Affairs
President & CEO
| Delaware Grantmakers Association

Hiring? Post your job on WRAG’s job board and get it included in the Daily! Free for members; $60/60 days for non-members. Details here.

Community Calendar
To add an event to WRAG’s community calendar, email Rebekah Seder. Click the image below to access the calendar.

Two talk shows hosts and a basketball coach walk into a restaurant

The Daily Wrag will be back in Monday!

-Kendra