January 11, 2017 / Kendra Allen, Editor

D.C. Council wants to create more public restrooms for the homeless

HOMELESSNESS | There have been many solutions proposed to aid the District’s growing homeless population, including the development of shelters, and now the DC Council has started the year with a new one. Councilmember Brianne Nadeau introduced a bill to create more public restrooms for the homeless. (WCP, 1/10)

Ward 1 D.C. councilmember and newly minted Human Services Committee Chair Brianne Nadeau introduced a bill during the council’s first legislative session of the year that would establish a task force to study creating public restrooms to relieve needy residents. Although the measure is in large part intended to benefit the homeless—roughly 8,350 were counted last year—Nadeau says more public bathrooms could also help pregnant women, the elderly, and people with disabilities. She says major cities in Europe and Asia are models.

As drafted, such a task force would consist of D.C. health, safety, and other officials as well as representatives from homeless services, urban planning, and civic organizations. Membership would be uncompensated, and the group would look at ways to “provide restroom facilities for free or for a nominal cost at all hours,” while also “incentiviz[ing] businesses to keep their restrooms open to the public.” It would recommend specific locations.

HOUSING
– D.C. to pay $1 million to settle families’ claims for homes taken by tax-lien program (WaPo, 1/10)

Many condo buildings east of the Anacostia are in trouble. Here’s why, and what can be done. (GGW, 1/10)

EVENTS | WRAG is excited to announce our 2017 Brightest Minds Series on a variety of critical topics that intersect with racial equity. The series is open to everyone.

Clotilde Perez-Bode Dedecker, President & CEO of the Community Foundation for Greater Buffalo – February 3, 2017

Roberta Uno, Director of Arts in a Changing America – March 29, 2017

Mindy Thompson Fullilove, MD, Professor of Urban Policy and Health at The New School – June 7, 2017

CORPORATE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY | In his most recent blog post, Tim McClimon, President of the American Express Foundation and lead faculty member of the Institute for CSR, predicts this year’s top CSR trends.

Related: Registration for the 2017 Institute for CSR is now open. Check out who’s already registered, download an application, and peruse the curriculum here.

– Loudoun School Board votes against adding sexual orientation or gender identity protections to its employment policy. (Loudoun Times, 1/11)

– Maryland school officials are investigating a ‘Kool Kids Klan’ petition that was passed around a high school last week. (WaPo, 1/10)

Supreme Court to decide: What level of education do public schools legally owe to students with disabilities? (WaPo, 1/10)

Here’s one way to promote pedestrian safety

-Kendra