January 23, 2017 / Kendra Allen, Editor

Women’s March draws half a million in D.C.

HUMAN RIGHTS | Across the world, this past Saturday, people from all walks of life participated in the Women’s March to protest the new president. An estimated half a million people marched in the District and Mayor Bowser talked at the rally. (WaPo, 1/22)

The organizers of the Women’s March on Washington, who originally sought a permit for a gathering of 200,000, said Saturday that as many as half a million people participated. On Sunday, Metro officials announced that Saturday was the second-busiest day in the Washington subway system’s history, with 1,001,613 trips. (By contrast, on Trump’s Inauguration Day, the system recorded 570,557 trips.)

Many in the nation’s capital and other cities said they were inspired to join because of Trump’s divisive campaign and his disparagement of women, minorities and immigrants. In signs and shouts, they mocked what they characterized as Trump’s lewd language and sexist demeanor.

CIVIC RESPONSIBILITY | When jury duty calls, many of us wish we could ignore it. Tamara Copeland, WRAG’s President and current juror, reflects on why civic responsibility is important in America and the different forms it can take. (Daily, 1/23)

ARTS & HUMANITIES 
– Theaters in the District are intentionally searching for actors and leaders of color. Philanthropy has also recognized this need for diversity, including the Weissberg Foundation, which has a Diversity in Theater pilot fund for 2016-2019 for the D.C. area. (WaPo, 1/19)

Rumors of Budget Cuts Swirl in Our Heads—New Administration’s Proposal Would Eliminate NEA (NPQ, 1/20)

IMMIGRATION | This week, Virginia will hear at least four bills that will affect the quality of life for immigrants (legal as well as undocumented). (WTOP, 1/23)

TRANSIT | D.C., Maryland and Virginia have agreed to give Metro the funding it asked for late last year. (WaPo, 1/22)

EDUCATIONMaryland tuition-aid program mostly helps students already in private schools (Baltimore Sun, 1/17)

WRAG COMMUNITY | As we kick off 2017, we would like to extend a warm welcome to our newest members:

Maryland Community Health Resources Commission
Metropolitan Policy Center
Montgomery County Collaboration Council for Children, Youth and Families
Porter Charitable Family Foundation, Inc.
The Virginia Law Foundation
Weissberg Foundation

We look forward to working with and supporting you as we improve the health and vitality of the region and all who live here through increased, effective, and responsible philanthropy.

It’s a rainy Monday. Why don’t you take a break and paint a nebula? Protip: Click and drag to create your masterpiece.

-Kendra