January 31, 2017 / Kendra Allen, Editor

DC area universities react to ban on refugees and immigrants

HUMAN RIGHTS
– A recent executive order to temporarily ban refugees, excluding Syrian refugees who are banned indefinitely, and individuals from seven predominately Muslim countries (Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen) has caused protests and worry across the nation. Universities in the DC area have expressed their disappointment with the order and have cautioned international students not to travel as they may not be allowed to re-enter the country. (WBJ, 1/30)

Universities urged international students and faculty to use caution when it came to travel in the weeks and months ahead, but added they are still grappling with the new regulations. Some officials said the order ran against the inclusionary cultures at their universities.

George Mason University President Ángel Cabrera, in a letter to the university community on Sunday, said he was “deeply concerned” about Trump’s executive order and urged the administration to reverse course.

“This is not only unbefitting a country built by immigrants on the ideals of liberty and equality, but it is also a self-inflicted wound that will damage the very innovation that lies at the root of our nation’s prosperity,” wrote Cabrera, a native of Spain, adding that many of the academics and entrepreneurs who come out of the Fairfax-based university arrived at the school as immigrants.

– Dulles Border Officials Coerced As Many As 60 People Into Signing Away Rights, Lawsuit Says (DCist, 1/30)

RACIAL EQUITY | Mardell Moffett, Associate Executive Director of The Morris & Gwendolyn Cafritz Foundation, talks about her time at the W.K. Kellogg Foundation’s Truth, Racial Healing and Transformation Summit in December and how she is still processing her new perspectives on race. (Daily, 1/31)

Related: Join us this Friday for the first Brightest Minds program of 2017, featuring Clotilde Perez-Bode Dedecker, head of the Community Foundation for Greater Buffalo. We will hear how one foundation is bringing business, government, nonprofits, and faith-based organizations together to effectively move an agenda for racial equity. Register here. This event is open to the public.

AFFORDABLE HOUSING
– A new District housing coalition that includes nonprofits, such as Enterprise Community Partners, and developers has formed to raise awareness about the city’s affordable housing crisis. (WBJ, 1/31)

– Washington’s worst case of lead poisoning in decades happened in a home sanctioned by housing officials  (WaPo, 1/31)

BUDGET | Maryland voters may be able to decide whether to tax and regulate marijuana in 2018. (Baltimore Sun, 1/30)

LGBTQ | A new infographic by the Funders for LGBTQ Issues shows the experience of LGBTQ persons in the criminal justice system. (LGBTQ Funders, 1/20)

Can you navigate this city as a low-income person without going into debt

-Kendra