February 3, 2017 / Kendra Allen, Editor

Racial disparities persist in DC’s school system

EDUCATION | A new report by the District government shows a decrease in the rate of suspensions and expulsions in the city’s public and charter schools. However, the report also finds that schools have not been able to eliminate racial disparities in discipline. (WaPo, 2/2)

Black students are nearly seven times more likely to be suspended than their white peers, the report found. More than 10 percent of black students in the city’s schools were suspended at least once, compared with fewer than 1 percent of white students.

There is also some concern that schools are not accurately counting suspensions. Several education advocates told council members that some schools are using “do-not-admit” lists that forbid a student from returning after a suspension unless a parent escorts the student back to school and meets with administrators.

[At-Large Councilmember] David Grosso called these “informal exclusionary practices” worrisome. Eduardo Ferrer, a lawyer with DC Lawyers for Youth, said that schools should avoid such measures and that the city must do more to collect data on informal suspensions..

RACISM
– The Arlington Public Library will launch an online exhibition and searchable database that tells the story of the desegregation of Arlington’s schools. (ArlingtonVa Newsroom, 2/2)

– How Segregated Schools Built Segregated Cities (Citylab, 2/2)

CRIMINAL JUSTICE
– More than 70 Prince George’s County police officers, many of whom are members of the National Hispanic Law Enforcement Association and the United Black Police Officers Association, have filed a racial discrimination complaint against the police department. (NBC4, 2/2)

– Opinion: A welcome change in D.C. jails (WaPo, 1/31)

FOOD | A D.C. councilmember has introduced a bill that would create a tax credit for food donations and end the practice of putting ‘sell by’ dates on food. (WBJ, 2/2)

IMMIGRATIONVirginia takes legal action against Trump’s immigration order (Loudoun Times, 2/1)

Social Sector Job Openings 

PATH Resource Center Manager | Center for Nonprofit Excellence – New!
Program Officer | Communities for Just Schools Fund – New!
Program Assistant | Communities for Just Schools Fund – New!
Grants Program Director | DC Commission on the Arts and Humanities
Senior Accountant | Arabella Advisors
Nonprofit Financial Planning & Analysis Manager | Arabella Advisors
Managing Director for Equity and Health | Richmond Memorial Health Foundation (RMHF)
Nonprofit Project Accountant | Arabella Advisors
Human Resources Manager | Arabella Advisors
Manager, Gannett Foundation | Gannett Foundation
Executive Assistant to the President (P/T) | ABFE – A Philanthropic Partnership for Black Communities
Vice President of Membership and Development | ABFE – A Philanthropic Partnership for Black Communities
Program Associate | ABFE – A Philanthropic Partnership for Black Communities
Associate Director, Policy & Communications | Forum of Regional Associations of Grantmakers 
Administrative Associate
| Forum of Regional Associations of Grantmakers 
Manager, Operations & Programming
| Walker’s Legacy Foundation
Senior Associate, Engagement – Mid-Atlantic and Retail and Direct Bank markets
| Capital One
Executive Director
| Philanthropy Network Greater Philadelphia

Hiring? Post your job on WRAG’s job board and get it included in the Daily! Free for members; $60/60 days for non-members. Details here.

Community Calendar
To add an event to WRAG’s community calendar, email Rebekah Seder. Click the image below to access the calendar.

So neither of the region’s teams made it to the Super Bowl as usual. But we can still root for either team and enjoy the commercials. Get ready by watching the most influential commercials (so far) here.

-Kendra