February 13, 2017 / Kendra Allen, Editor

A call to fund Black-led social change

RACIAL EQUITY
ABFE: A Philanthropic Partnership for Black Communities and the Hill-Snowdon Foundation have partnered to release The Case for Funding Black-Led Social Change, a call to action to increase support to Black-led social change organizations. The case found that less than 2 percent of funding by the nation’s largest foundations is specifically targeted to the black community. (ABFE, 2/9)

It is important for philanthropy to invest in strengthening the infrastructure for Black-led social change to reverse its pattern of underinvestment, so that the Black community can thrive and the broader progressive community can achieve its most ambitious goals.

We define Black-led social change organizations as those with predominantly Black boards, executive leadership, staff leadership and constituents. The primary purpose of these groups is to build political, economic and social power in order to secure freedom and equity for the Black community.

– Yanique Redwood, Consumer Health Foundation‘s President and CEO (and vice chair of WRAG’s board), advises foundations and nonprofits that are considering racial equity work on what has helped CHF and invites other experienced persons to share their knowledge. (CHF Blog, 2/9)

Related: For those looking for other resources to figure out where to start, check out WRAG’s Putting Racism on the Table materials here.

WORKFORCE | As the time draws closer for DC’s mayor Muriel Bowser to sign the recently passed paid family leave bill, the DC Chamber of Commerce and other business leaders urge her to veto the bill. (WBJ, 2/10)

HEALTH | The House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform will begin its first session today to potentially stop DC’s “Death with Dignity” bill from becoming law. (WAMU, 2/13)

FOOD | Opinion: Cheap Eats, Cheap Labor: The Hidden Human Costs Of Those Lists (NPR, 2/12)

CHILDREN & FAMILIES
– A five part series explores the struggle for affordable and convenient childcare in our region (WTOP, 2/13)

– A Virginia bill requiring fingerprint background checks for all licensed childcare providers has opponents citing government overreach. (Richmond Times, 2/12)

TRANSGENDER RIGHTS | Justice Department signals it may pull support for trans student protections (MetroWeekly, 2/11)

EVENT | Public Welfare Foundation is hosting a panel, “Forging a Path Forward in a Post-Election Nation: A Conversation with Leading Progressive Activists,” on Monday, February 27 from 12-2pm. Register here

DC’s black Broadway…..