February 21, 2017 / Kendra Allen, Editor

District’s death with dignity bill is officially law

HEALTH | DC Council passed the Death with Dignity Act, legislation allowing physicians to prescribe medical aid in dying, last November. A few weeks ago, members of the House and Senate, mainly the House committee that oversees the District, pledged to overturn it. In the end, the bill passed because Congress ran out of time to defeat the bill. (DCist, 2/17)

While a disapproval resolution for Death with Dignity passed the House Oversight Committee on Monday, it never made it to a vote on the House floor (where Norton doesn’t have a vote) or to mark-up in a Senate committee. Thirty legislative days passed on Friday, though Norton acknowledged that “House and Senate parliamentarians are the arbiters” of when the deadline lapses. Even so, [Congressman] Chaffetz has admitted defeat for now.

– Governor Terry McAuliffe urges Virginia legislators to include funding for mental health screenings in jails and to hire investigators to examine suspicious jail deaths in the budget. (WTOP, 2/20)

RACIAL EQUITY | After a year of learning about racism and racial equity, local funders are ready to move toward action, with the launch of the Racial Equity Working Group at WRAG. We report back on the discussion and the three major areas that the working group will focus on moving forward. (Daily, 2/21)

– Maryland lawmakers are considering a bill that would prohibit schools from suspending pre-K to second grade students. (WTOP, 2/20)

– DC’s first all male high school gives a progress report on its first year. (WaPo, 2/19)

IMMIGRATIONImmigrants are a huge part of DC’s workforce (GGW, 2/17)

WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT | Ward 7 Economic Development Advisory Council formed to figure out how to bring more development to DC’s ward 7 community. (WBJ, 2/17)

ARTS / GENDER | Female Musicians and Artists of Color Are in the Spotlight at Represented DC (WCP, 2/17)

Some quacky sculptures for your Tuesday afternoon.

-Kendra