February 22, 2017 / Kendra Allen, Editor

Transgender students may lose federal protections

TRANSGENDER RIGHTS | For a while, students were legally allowed to use the restrooms and locker rooms of the gender they identified with. Yesterday the new administration announced it would roll back protections for transgender students. While this is alarming for all transgender individuals, it is especially harmful to those experiencing gender dysphoria. For this group, the basic right to express one’s gender is paramount to one’s survival. (WaPo, 2/21)

The Obama administration’s guidance was based on the position that requiring students to use a restroom that clashes with their gender identity is a violation of Title IX, the federal law that bars sex discrimination. Transgender students and their parents cheered Obama’s move to expand the protections, but it drew legal challenges from those who believe it was a federal intrusion into local affairs and a violation of social norms.

The issue of which bathrooms transgender people should be permitted to use has evolved in recent years into a central debate about rights for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people. Transgender advocates say that allowing people with gender dysphoria to use their preferred restroom is essential for their health and psychological well-being. Opponents say the accommodations violate student privacy and traditional values.

CORPORATE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
– Rachel Tappis, Director of Community Impact at the Advisory Board Company, reflects on her time in WRAG’s Institute for CSR, and the invaluable knowledge she gained from the program. (Daily, 2/22)

How Can Businesses Build Effective Partnerships with NGOs? (The U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation, 1/25)

Related: This is just one of the many topics we’ll cover in the first session of the 2017 Institute for Corporate Social Responsibility. Class kicks off March 16. Applications are due by February 28. Register here

– The Johnson Amendment, which prohibits charitable 501(c)(3) organizations from participating or intervening in any political campaign on behalf of (or in opposition to) any candidate for public office, may be repealed. The Council on Foundations has determined that private foundations can engage in communications with legislators in support of or in opposition to any repeal or modification of the terms of the Johnson Amendment. Learn more (Council on Foundations, 2/7)

Related: Funders are invited to join us on Monday, March 13th for Foundations and Advocacy: It’s Time to Get in the Ring, a training with Alliance for Justice that will explore how private and public foundations can support grantees’ advocacy efforts and engage in advocacy themselves. Register now

– Crystal Townsend, Healthcare Initiative Foundation president and member of WRAG’s Board of Directors, is featured in this month’s Grantmakers In Health Grantmakers in Focus section. (GIH, 2/17)

HIV/AIDS | The Affordable Care Act allows a significant number of people with HIV to access health coverage. (Huffington Post, 2/15)

ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT | The District’s Skyland Town Center project just signed a lease with CVS and plans to move forward with development this year. (WBJ, 2/21)

INCOME INEQUALITYThe Only Thing, Historically, That’s Curbed Inequality: Catastrophe (Atlantic, 2/22)

In case you were wondering: The 15 best places to break up in D.C., mapped