March 6, 2017 / Kendra Allen, Editor

New report: How foundations can target health and wealth in their funding strategies

HEALTH | A new brief by the Asset Funders Network explores how funders can make stronger connections between wealth building, economic security, and prevention and health outcomes to impact communities. The Health and Wealth Connection: Opportunities for Investment Across the Life Course report also provides examples of funding programs that are implementing this work. (Asset Funders Network, 3/6)

There are many opportunities for funders to invest at the intersection of asset building and health. To fully appreciate all of them, it is useful to know that several factors impact health beyond health care access and affordability…

Many funders, including funders more traditionally invested in health, understand the importance of social determinants and increasingly are acting to invest in strategies that address them. For example, the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation has invested significant resources in building what it calls “a culture of health,” which includes attention to income, education, housing, and other social factors that influence health. There are opportunities for funders more traditionally in asset building, workforce development, education, community development, and other fields to invest in positive health outcomes as well.

Related: WRAG’s Healthy Communities Working Group is committed to improving health in the region by addressing disparities in health status and outcomes related to race, ethnicity, and economic status. HCWG is open to all WRAG members interested in better understanding the connection between housing, education, income, and other social factors, to health and wellness. Learn more here.

– For aging inmates, a chance to learn how to take better care of their health (WaPo, 2/28)

– The Forum of Regional Associations of Grantmakers has released a statement supporting the Johnson Amendment. (Giving Forum, 3/6)

– Opinion: Is Muslim Philanthropy in the U.S. Coming into Its Own? (NPQ, 3/3)

TRANSIT | Metro’s annual report card finds some improvement, but the rail system is still lacking in customer satisfaction. (WAMU, 3/6)

FOOD/YOUTH | La Cocina VA, a Northern Virginia nonprofit that offers Latino immigrants job training and culinary certification, also provides meals for families in need. (WCP, 3/2)

ENVIRONMENT | Here’s a new method to clean up the Anacostia River: a robot that eats the trash. (DCist, 3/2)

TRANSGENDER RIGHTSSupreme Court sends Virginia transgender case back to lower court (WaPo, 3/6)

EVENT | The 10th Annual Regional Nonprofit Forum will be on March 21 at George Mason’s Arlington Campus. More information here

Take a walk through a renovated Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Library.