March 9, 2017 / Kendra Allen, Editor

New DCPS chancellor wants to know the community’s educational priorities

EDUCATION | Antwan Wilson, DCPS chancellor, is hosting meetings in each of the city’s wards to learn what’s important to community members as he creates plans for the school system. He recently held a meeting in Ward 7 where there are 12 elementary schools, 2 middle schools and high schools and 2 alternative schools. (DCist, 3/8)

[Antwan Wilson]…also said that the ward has a lower number of students who take and pass advanced placement courses compared to other parts of the city. And he pointed to significant gaps by race, gender, and ward in student results on the annual PARCC assessment, which tracks students’ math and English skill levels.

To close those gaps, Wilson said a strategic plan could include smaller classroom sizes and structured tutoring during the day, which could lead to longer hours in school for some students.

This school year, nearly a dozen schools, mostly in Wards 7 and 8, had extended academic years. Among other things, Mayor Muriel Bowser said that the additional days on the front and back ends of the schoolyear would help prevent the “summer slide,” referring to the fact that students tend to lose some of the academic gains they made during the previous school year.

PHILANTHROPY | Op-Ed: Engaging in policy advocacy does not just mean “lobbying,” as many foundations seem to think. There are many ways for funders to legally inform policy making. And, for those concerned about the effectiveness of their grantmaking, engaging in policy advocacy is essential. (PND Blog, 3/8)

Related Event for WRAG Members: Join us on Monday, March 13 for the Foundations & Advocacy: Understanding What You Can Legally Do training. This training will explore how private and public foundations can support grantees’ advocacy efforts and engage in advocacy themselves. Register here.

DISTRICT | Yesterday, the House Oversight and Government Reform committee passed a nonbinding resolution to encourage federal agencies to locate outside of our region. (WBJ, 3/8)

IMMIGRATION 
– Rockville, MD is considering formalizing a longtime policy of police not asking about immigration status or cooperating with ICE agents. (WTOP, 3/7)

This company is making millions from America’s broken immigration system (WaPo, 3/9)

HOUSING | A DC councilmember has introduced a bill that would allow people living in public housing to build credit. (UrbanTurf, 3/8)

NONPROFIT | Race and gender diversity has been an important indicator when hiring within nonprofits but have we missed class? (Chronicle, 3/7 – Subscription needed)

ACCESSIBILITY | Ballston is getting free WiFi in its public spaces. (ARLnow, 3/8)

CRIMINAL JUSTICESupreme Court: Jury secrecy no bar to looking into race bias (WaPo, 3/6)

FOOD | Montgomery County has passed a bill that would give urban farmers a tax credit and allow them to keep their property if developers pressure them to sell. (Montgomery County Media, 3/8)

DC’s ‘Mayor for Life’ to be memorialized.