March 13, 2017 / Kendra Allen, Editor

Charter school system creates pipeline of talented teachers

EDUCATION | Public charter schools are educating almost half of DC’s students, which creates more competition when hiring teachers. KIPP DC, a charter school system with 16 locations in the city, saw this and decided to create their own pipeline of teachers. The Capital Teaching Residency program allows them to train former students, veterans, and others through classroom work. (WaPo, 3/12)

[KIPP DC Executive Director Susan] Schaeffler and her board wanted to start many more schools. (They have since grown to 16, with more than 450 teachers and 5,800 students.) They could no longer count on finding enough good people in local bars and at recruitment events. So they created the Capital Teaching Residency program, a way to train recruits through classroom work that has become nationally the most promising solution to giving disadvantaged children the most skilled educators possible.

…KIPP residents work for a year as teaching assistants while taking training classes at their schools. KIPP DC trains 80 to 100 residents a year. It has 360 current residents or alumni teaching in the District and expects to have 800 teachers trained by 2020.

HEALTH
– Risa Lavizzo-Mourey, president and CEO of Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, share seven lessons she’s learned about improving health in the U.S. as she prepares to step down this year. (RWJF, 3/9)

– A Virginia library hosts monthly meetings to allow people to discuss death preparations and get resources. (WaPo, 3/12)

HUMAN RIGHTS | Hate Crimes In D.C. Rose By ‘Disturbing’ 62 Percent In 2016 (DCist, 3/10)

POVERTY | This weekend A Wider Circle, a DC non-profit focused on poverty, hosted an immersion event that let attendees experience life in poverty. (WUSA9, 3/12)

HOUSING
– A new study on how Latino and Black youth benefit from living in economically diverse neighborhoods finds that class desegregation may have more power than racial desegregation in improving the lives of these youth. (Citylab, 3/10)

– Opinion: D.C.’s housing standards look great on paper — but horrible in practice (WaPo, 3/10)

HIV/AIDSAn AIDS Museum: The Challenges Are Huge, but the Timing Is Right (NYT, 3/13)

WORKFORCE | Hotels strive to make the housekeeping staff invisible to guests but are they also invisible when management makes decisions that impact them? (Atlantic, 3/9)

In preparation for our impending snowstorm (maybe!), look at our history of March snowstorms.