March 20, 2017 / Kendra Allen, Editor

Maryland advocates want to re-open recovery school for teens

– As the opioid epidemic sweeps the nation and Maryland’s governor has declared a state of emergency due to the crisis, advocates are looking at reopening a school for teenagers dealing with addiction. Drug-related emergency room visits are up for teenagers in Montgomery County, MD, which is prompting this effort. (WaPo, 3/19)

Former students recall the importance of the school’s recovery-minded community, apart from their old friends and bad habits. At Phoenix, other teenagers were trying to stay clean; they often remained at Phoenix a year or two, then returned to their high schools or graduated.

Henry Bockman, 48, who attended in the mid-1980s and is now a business owner in the county, says he recalls team-building during outdoor trips — rock climbing, caving, rafting — Alcoholics Anonymous meetings, support from other teenagers and teachers who took the time to really know students.

– Study: Half or more of community college students struggle to afford food, housing (Hechinger Report, 3/15)

ADVOCACY | Last week, WRAG’s Board of Directors voted to sign on as a supporter of the New Social Compact, a statement of values, practices, and actions produced by professor john a. powell of the Haas Institute for a Fair and Inclusive Society at UC Berkeley. Tamara Lucas Copeland, WRAG’s president, discusses why WRAG signed on to the compact, and how we use our voice on issues that matter. (Daily, 3/20)

HEALTH | A new state analysis found that under the proposed healthcare bill, Virginia’s Medicaid program could lose $1.8 billion over a six-year span. (WTOP, 3/17)

REGION/ECONOMY | The administration’s new budget would severely impact social spending in the DC region. (WaPo, 3/18)

WRAG/EVENTS | On March 30th, the 2030 Group, a regional group of Washington Metropolitan area business leaders who are focused on strengthening the region’s economy, will hold “The Roadmap for Washington Region’s Economic Future: Where Are We Now?” event. Register here.

HOUSING | Opinion: The D.C. region needs a housing corporation to help make home prices affordable (WaPo, 3/17)

ENVIRONMENT | Why racial equity and diversity have to matter in the environmental sector and how to address it. (Center for Effective Philanthropy, 3/16)

An office MacGyver with the steaks